Minors in the Honors Program are expected to complete the requirements of minors in course, including taking Senior Capstone (FREN 091) in the spring semester of the senior year.
- Complete 5 credits in courses or seminars numbered 14 or above. Four of these credits must be completed on the Swarthmore campus. Note that AP and IB credits will not count toward the honors minor. FREN 16 can only count once to fulfill the honors minor credit requirement.
- Complete at least a six-week program of study in a French-speaking country. See the Study Abroad section.
- Complete Senior Capstone (FREN 091) in the spring semester of the senior year, which includes the writing of an original, independent research paper of 20 pages on a topic chosen in discussion with the senior colloquium professor.
- Complete at least one advanced courses (above FREN 15) before taking a seminar.
- Work on one two-credit seminar preparation or an approved paired course preparation.
French and Francophone Studies also offers courses in French literature in translation but no more than one such course may count to satisfy the requirements in the honors minor.
The Honors Exam for Minors and Preparations
Minors must do a single, two-credit seminar preparation (consisting of two units of credit) or an approved paired course preparation.
Seminars (Spring semester only, not all are offered every two years):
FREN 102. Le monde comique de Molière
FREN 104. Roman du XIXe siècle
FREN 106. La Modernité
FREN 108. Littérature et cinéma modernes et contemporains
FREN 110. Histoires d'îles
FREN 111. Représentations coloniales
FREN 112. Ecritures francophones
FREN 114. Théâtre d'écritures françaises
FREN 115. Paroles de femmes
Mode of Examination:
A three-hour written examination, and a one-half hour oral examination, both in French, will be required for the preparation.
Candidates are expected to have a "B" average in course work both in the department and at the college, have taken French 004 or the equivalent, and have demonstrated interest in and aptitude for the study of literature or culture in the original language.