Dance Major in the Course Program
The goal of the course major in Dance is to expose a student to the broad scope of the field. The distribution of required courses for the major provides students with an introduction to Dance Studies, Choreography, and Performance, and allows them to direct their final credit(s) in the major toward a specific focus: Choreography, Dance Studies or an Individually Created focus. Majors will be required to develop an extended paper or a significant dance performance piece as part of their focus. All dance majors and minors are strongly encouraged to participate in technique and repertory classes each term.
All majors will design their programs in consultation with a faculty adviser.
Prerequisites for the Major including all areas of focus:
These prerequisites are strongly recommended for first-year students and must be completed before the junior year. If a student has not completed all of these prerequisites at the time of an application for a major but has done good work in one or more courses in the program, the student may be accepted on a provisional basis.
1. One Dance Studies course
2. DANC 011. Dance Lab I: Making Dance
3. One Dance Technique class (in any style) for academic credit
Prerequisite credits for Majors: 2.5
Requirements for each focus are as follows:
1. DANC 012. Dance Lab II: Making Dance or if not offered, DANC 013. Dance Composition Tutorial (twice)
2. DANC 045. Dance Technique: Yoga
3. Two Dance Studies courses
4. Two Dance Repertory/Ensemble courses- one Western and one non-Western course
5. Two Technique courses (any style)
6. *DANC 094. Senior Project
Total credits in focus: 6.5
Note: Majors with a focus in Choreography are also strongly encouraged to enroll in THEA 003 Fundamentals of Design for Theater Performance and THEA 004B. Lighting Design.
1. Four Dance Studies courses
2. Two Dance Technique and/or Repertory/Ensemble courses - one Western and one non-Western course
3. *DANC 095 or 096. Senior Thesis
Total credits in focus: 6 – 7
Individually Created focus: see Special Major
Total prerequisites and credits required for Majors: 8.5 – 9.5
*The senior project/thesis is required of all Majors.
The dance faculty encourages students to pursue a senior project/thesis that incorporates a comparison or integration of dance with some other creative or performing art (creative writing, music, theater, or visual art), with a community-based learning component, or with another academic discipline of the student’s interest.