Resources for Attorneys
- Swarthmore Pre-law Office A resource for students considering careers in law.
- Law Info Legal employment resource for job seekers and employers.
- Law Jobs Job search engine for attorneys, legal secretaries, paralegals, etc.
- National Association for Law Placement Advice and information for JD jobseekers.
American Bar Association Student Resources Website created by the ABA with information about legal careers and education.
Resources for Paralegals and Legal Assistants
Many Swarthmore students express interest in becoming a paralegal immediately after graduation. According to an article published by the National Federation of Paralegal Associations, a bachelor's degree has become mandatory for entry-level candidates and paralegal certificates are highly beneficial, especially in the absence of practical legal experience.
Some states require Continuing Legal Education credits for paralegals. California has the most stringent requirements. The NFPA has compiled a thorough listing of state's requirements and recommendations for paralegals.
Education/Certification Programs for Entry-Level Paralegals
- ABA Approved Paralegal Education Programs Searchable by state. Provides a brief description of programs.
- American Association for Paralegal Education Maintains a database of certification programs at colleges and universities.
- Certified Paralegal Program The National Association of Legal Assistants provides a credential upon completion of a five-part exam. Students with a bachelor's degree must have one year's worth of experience as a legal assistant before they can take the exam.
- BecomeAParalegal A source that provides state-specific information for aspiring paralegal professionals including hourly and annual wage figures
Entry-Level Job Search Engines for Paralegals
- AfterCollege A general job search website for recent college grads.
- CareerBuilder Can search for paralegal jobs generally or narrow to entry-level positions.
National Legal Aid and Defender Association NLADA is a professional organization for attorneys who work for low-income clients. Its job search engine includes paralegal jobs at legal aid organizations which may hire recent college grads.
- Paralegal Provide state-specific information for aspiring paralegal professionals including hourly and annual wage figures
Employers That Hire Entry-Level Paralegals and Legal Assistants
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP An international firm that hires college grades for its paralegal recruitment program. Positions available in New York, Washington D.C., Europe and Asia.
- Community Legal Services of Philadelphia CLS does not have a specific recruitment program, but it hires recent college grads as paralegals.
- Covington & Burling LLP A firm with branches in New York, San Francisco, and Washington D.C. recruits recent college grads for a two-year commitment to the firm as a paralegal.
- Federal Career Intern Program at the DOJ A two-year program where students can serve as a paralegal within the Department of Justice. To search for open internship positions, visit USAJOBS.
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom Skadden Arps employs about 500 legal assistants in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Palo Alto, San Francisco, Washington D.C., and Wilmington.
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP Legal assistants are trained and make a two-year commitment to the firm.