How To Schedule a Writing Center Appointment
You are always welcome to stop by the Writing Center in Trotter 120 during open hours (Sunday through Thursday from 6:45 p.m.-11:15 p.m. AND Monday through Thursday 2:30 p.m.-5:00 p.m.) to drop off your paper and schedule a conference.
Alternatively, you may self-schedule your own conference at any time of day or night. To make an appointment with the Writing Center, visit MySwarthmore → Student Information → Schedule an Appointment with the Writing Program.
This will redirect you to our new scheduling platform, WCOnline. If this is your first visit to the site, please complete a registration form, making sure to include your name, phone number, graduation year and other pertinent information you think is important. Once you have registered, log in and choose from the drop down which type of appointment you would like to schedule.
STEP 1: SCHEDULE YOUR APPOINTMENT.
Choose an appointment on any day and time by clicking on a white block (open appointments available). A new appointment form will pop up and will ask for some more information regarding your appointment, such as "What would you like to focus on?". Remember, more detailed answers to the questions will help your WA know what to look for! You may attach your paper at the bottom of the form, or it can be done at a later time. Click "create appointment" to confirm. The block on the schedule will turn a gold color to indicate your designated appointment.
If you need to change or cancel your appointment:
- Log into WCOnline
- Click on the drop down arrow next to "Welcome [name]" at the top left of screen
- Choose "My Appointments" to find the appointment
- The Existing Appointment screen will open. Click on red button that says "Cancel Appointment"
- WAs are not given time to read any material before prewriting conferences, so please choose "rough draft" if you'd like them to look over a few pages.
- Appointments may be scheduled or canceled approximately two hours before the time offered.
- To schedule a last-minute appointment, please call the Writing Center at 610-328-8659 or simply walk-in!
- In order to give yourself enough time to revise your paper post-conference, conferences on a paper cannot be held within three hours of its due date. (e.g. If your paper is due at 7pm, the appointment must take place before at least 4pm that day.)
Go onto the MySwarthmore portal and enter into your WCOnline account. Click on the arrow next to "Welcome [your name]". Select "My Appointments" to display date and times of scheduled appointments. Click on the appointment that you would like to attach a paper. In the Existing Appointment form, choose "Edit Appointment" at the bottom. You will now have access to the form and will see a space to attach your document(s).
Make sure you upload your paper by 6:30pm for evening conferences or by 1:30pm for afternoon conferences. These are the deadlines regardless of the specific time of your appointment. If we have not received your paper by this deadline, your appointment may be canceled, and you will have to try and reschedule.
STEP 3: THE CONFERENCE
Please note that if you are more than ten minutes late for your conference, you will forfeit your conference for the evening.
When you return to the Center at the appointed conference time, the receptionist will introduce you to your WA. You will then have a conference lasting approximately 30 minutes, during which the WA will explain his or her comments, and you will have a chance to ask any questions you may have. At the end of your conference, you'll be asked to complete a feedback form and return it to the box outside the Writing Center door.