Other Special Interests
What kind of statistician could you be?
Take this ASA quiz and find out!
Here are a few different current opportunities for undergrad students of Statistics and Data Science. This list is updated irregularly but at least once a year.
- Data Science for Social Good at CMU (https://www.dssgfellowship.
org/) summer fellowship application is open (applications due by January 28, 2022).
- UW Data Science for Social Good Summer Fellowship (escience.washington.edu/dssg) application will open January 10, 2022.
- Stanford Data Science for Social Good (datascience.stanford.edu/
news/...) is open (applications due by February 14, 2022
Diversity and Inclusion in Statistics and Data Science
My work with Wendy Martinez, Donna Lalonde, Brittany Green, Emma Benn, Miles Ott, Jack Miller and others involves promoting the inclusion of work done by and for gender and sexual minorities.
- LGBTQ+ Statistics and Data Science Network
- ASA LGBTQ+ Advocacy Committee
- W+iMS (Women + in Mathematics and Statistics) Swarthmore
Inclusive Data Projects and Sources
Here is a somewhat regularly updated list of other resources (that I am not affiliated with) for diversity and inclusion in Statistics and Mathematics. If you have more to recommend please shoot me an email!
- Conference for African-American Researchers in the Mathematical Sciences (CAARMS)
- Data for Black Lives
- Mathematically Gifted and Black
- Latisms - Latinxs and Hispanics in the Mathematical Sciences
- Spectra - The Association for LGBT Mathematicians
- Center for Scientific Diversity at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- Mathematicians of the African Diaspora (Under construction, website will be released soon!)
If you are a statistician or data scientist interested in joining our ASA LGBTQ+ Inclusion and Diversity (LID) Working Group, you can sign up to join us here.
If you have any resources or data sets that you would like share with me, you can do so here.
- Significance Magazine (2019) (1/2)
- Significance Magazine Online (2019) (2/2)
- AMSTAT News President's Corner (2020)
Feel free to email me if you are seeking statistical consulting support. Priority will be given to projects motivated by improving the health and well-being of minority groups and to Swarthmore students and faculty.