When you travel into the U.S. you will need to present the following documents at the U.S. port of entry:
- Valid Passport
- Valid F-1 Visa (except for passport holders from Canada)
- Valid form I-20 with signature less than one year old on page 2
- Proof of I-901 (SEVIS) fee payment
- Swarthmore Transcripts
- Financial Information (optional)
If students have issues entering the U.S. more than once, they may submit a request to DHS TRIP https://www.dhs.gov/dhs-trip
TRAVELING ON OPT
Travel recommendations do not change for Pre-Completion OPT. Please refer to the above instructions.
Required documents to re-enter the U.S. while on post-completion OPT
Once you have graduated, you are required to show these documents in order to re-enter the U.S. in F-1 status:
- Valid I-20 - Page two should list your employer's information and be signed by an OISS adviser within the last six months.
- Valid F-1 Visa - If your F-1 visa is expired, you must apply for a new one at a U.S. embassy or consulate prior to your return. (Note: Canadian citizens do not need a visa.)
- Valid Passport - The expiration date should be at least six months into the future at any given time.
- Valid Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
- Evidence of a job offer or resumption of employment. If you are returning to the U.S without evidence of a job offer, you may be questioned at the port of entry.
If you need to leave the U.S. before you receive your EAD, speak with Jennifer Marks-Gold.