Where will you take your studies? Get ready to explore!!
Found a program (or two) you love? Need some help navigating all these options? Ready to get started? Follow these steps!
- Read the Introduction to Off-Campus Study Handbook [pdf].
- Attend a (virtual) general information session. Dates and times are listed here.
- Complete the Advising/Preliminary Information Sheet.
- Email Diana Malick to schedule an advising appointment. During your advising appointment you can discuss any questions or concerns you have about studying abroad, and your OCS Advisor will walk you through the application process. Click here for specifics about Policies and Procedures.
- Keep an eye out for OCS deadlines, as well as program deadlines, which could be earlier. Complete your applications by the earliest deadline.
- Maintain excellent communication with your academic/major advisor.
- Most academic departments/programs have information about off-campus study on their websites. Sometimes they have selected a semester that's best for study abroad; a limit to how many courses you can take abroad for your major/minor; or specific forms to complete when requesting credits. So be sure to check your department's/program's website.
- Remember that in most cases, you have to complete an application both in the OCS portal, and directly with your program.
- Consult the Study Abroad Course Database to see what courses students have taken before on your program.
- Contact your OCS advisor with any questions.
- Contact a Swarthmore student who has recently studied abroad on the program you're interested in.
- Hear and see what students have to say about their experience abroad.
- Check out the OCS policies and procedures.