The mission of the Swarthmore Career Services Office is to engage students as they reflect on and integrate all facets of their Swarthmore experience for lifelong career development, meaning and purpose. We encourage students to meet with us early and often throughout your time at Swarthmore College. Our services include:
- Career Counseling: Meet individually with a Career Counselor to identify, explore and evaluate your interests, skills, values, and experiences as they relate to your educational and career plans. We encourage you to start exploring how your major choice relates to potential careers.
Career Peer Advisors (CPAs): When classes are in session, you can talk with Career Peer Advisors. CPAs can help pyou with your job or internship searches, edit your resumes and cover letters and much more.
- Career Interest Inventories: We administer and interpret both the Campbell Interest & Skill Survey and the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. Both assessments are valuable ways to explore your personality preferences, interests, and skills as they relate to future options.
- Interview Preparation: Career Services offers interview workshops that teach you the basics, as well as more advanced interview workshops. Digitally-recorded mock interviews are available by appointment to help you practice for the real thing. You can even borrow a suit from our Career Closet to look and feel your best during your actual interviews!
Summer Jobs and Internships
- Meet with a Career Counselor to learn about summer internships. Use our internship resources and our alumni network to discover internship opportunities. We will help you develop internship application materials and also provide information on funding and housing options.
- Handshake: Internship database open to only the Swarthmore students/alumni. Access events and other online resources. Log in with your Swarthmore credentials.
- UCAN Intern: Internship database open to 17 select schools. Log in with your email address and use the "Forgot Password" link to generate one.
Career Services Programs
- Our programming includes annual events such as the ever popular Dapper Dining professional etiquette dinner, DC Government and Nonprofit EXPO, SwatTank innovation incubator, Social Impact Career Starter, and Wall Street reception. Additionally, the Career Seekers group meets weekly over lunch in spring semester for students to discuss career development topics, explore careers, prepare their resumes and apply for internship/employment opportunities.
- Extern Program: "Shadow" a Swarthmore alum at work for a few days or a week during winter break. Experience a new career field and gain an "insider's" perspective while developing a mentoring relationship with a Swarthmore alum.
- Alumni/Student Mentoring Opportunities: Meet alumni through panels, dinners, and other programs throughout the year. All offer a great chance to gain advice and perspective on the world of work, as well as develop mentors to help you along your path.