- Arabic placement exams are taken on the first day of classes.
- Chinese, French, German, and Spanish placement tests are offered online.
- First-year students must login to "mySwarthmore" from Swarthmore's student web page and click on the Placement exam tab for access and detailed instructions. It is important that students complete the language survey that appears at the beginning of the test. Upon completion of the exam, students can register in the designated course during the registration period. An oral interview is required, or additional testing may be required for some students and is typically scheduled on the Wednesday of orientation.
- Upper-class students interested in taking placement exams should contact Michael Jones in the Language Resource Center for information and instructions (mjones1, or 610.328.8036).
- Students who have French/German/Spanish AP/IB are also required to take the online placement exam.
- Note: the French/German/Spanish Online Placement Test is not a substitute for an official standard achievement test of a foreign language (such as the College Board exam or the International Baccalaureate). Therefore, it does not serve as proof of achievement for the purpose of fulfilling the language requirement. This exam is only intended to assist instructors in placing students in the appropriate Swarthmore course.
- For additional information on placement visit each program's website.
- Russian: students are asked to consult with the Russian Section Head if they need to be placed.