RA Selection Email to Students
Email sent to the Class of 2019 and 2020 on January 29, 2018:
Dear Class of 2019 and 2020:
It is the time of the season for the Office of Student Engagement to begin the RA Selection Process! This email contains some important information regarding the process for this year. This email is long, so please take time to read it in its entirety.
Resident Assistants (RAs) are selected juniors and seniors who serve in the residence halls as peer counselors and advisors. They are available to provide general information and counseling, and to make appropriate referrals as needed. RAs also have responsibility for security, fire protection, and general safety within the dormitories. RAs also function as liaisons between students and the administration.
For RA application instructions and upcoming info sessions about the RA position, please visit the Resident Assistant Selection Website or continue reading:
APPLY TO BE AN RA:
The RA application period will begin on Monday, Jan 29, 2018. The deadline to apply is Monday, February 12, 2018, 11:59pm EST.
The application will be posted on JobX, the College’s new centralized student employment portal. JobX will become Swarthmore’s hub for posting and applying to jobs, bringing ease, transparency, and equity to student employment at the College. In anticipation of the full implementation later this year, more information on JobX will be shared throughout the spring and summer. However, we welcome feedback on your experience at this stage (contact Kristin Moore, Director of Services, Financial Aid Office at email@example.com).
First carefully review the Resident Assistant Selection page on the OSE website. This page contains a position description, and required supplemental forms (RA Application Form, RA Short Answer Supplemental, you must attach to your application). Once you have reviewed the Resident Assistant Selection page, you may access the application in JobX by visiting swarthmore.studentemployment.ngwebsolutions.com and taking the following steps:
- Select “Student Employees.”
- Click “User Dashboard,” at the top of the right hand column.
- Log in with your Swarthmore credentials.
- Click on “Student Employees” in the top navigation.
- Select “Find a Job” from the drop-down menu.
- Click “Show All Active Jobs” on the top left of the “Select a Quick Search” box.
- Review the disclaimer for on-campus stipend jobs and click “I Agree.”
- The Resident Assistant position will appear in the “Active Jobs” list. Click the job title.
- “Click here to apply for this job” on the top left of the screen.
- Read and complete all portions of application, as they contain important information on eligibility, remuneration, dates of employment, spring training, and more.
- Some data will be pre-populated into the application from your Banner account. Please review it to make sure it is correct and up to date.
- Be sure to upload your RA Short Answer Supplemental form, available on the Resident Assistant Selection page.
- Click “Submit.”
Once you have submitted your application, you must visit the Resident Assistant Selection page and sign up for a group or individual interview by 11:59 p.m. on Feb 12, 2018.
LEARN MORE ABOUT BECOMING AN RA:
We invite any students who are interested in the RA position to attend one of the three informational sessions, in which candidates can learn more about the RA Position, ask specific questions regarding the process, and speak to current RAs about their experience in the position. The following are the dates, times, and locations of the RA Info Sessions:
Monday, February 2, Parrish East Parlors: 5-6pm
Tuesday, February 5, Mephistos (Willets Hall Lounge): 5-6pm
Thursday, February 8, Parrish East Parlors: 5-6pm
On behalf of the staff of the Office of Student Engagement, we are INCREDIBLY excited to begin this process of cultivating new leaders of our residential communities! If you have any questions regarding this process, please be in touch with the Office of Student Engagement.
Isaiah J. Thomas, M.A.
Assistant Director of Residential Communities
Swarthmore College | Office of Student Engagement
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore, PA 19081