VPN and Off-Campus Access
How to install and use Swarthmore's VPN system
The Cisco Virtual Private Network client is the only way to connect to Swarthmore network resources such as shared network drives, shared software using keyaccess, and Banner from off-campus. The Cisco client provides enhanced security over previous methods. It is strongly recommended that users of the built-in Windows or Macintosh VPN clients use the Cisco VPN client for their remote connections.
Note: VPN is not necessary to access Swarthmore library bibliographic databases; instead, connect to EZproxy (http://proxy.swarthmore.edu).
- open a web browser, such as Firefox or Safari (highly recommend Firefox)
- go to http://swatvpn.swarthmore.edu
- Log in using your Swarthmore user name and password
- Wait while it checks for java (may take a minute or so)
- If java detection fails, you will be directed to download and install VPN
- Click the AnyConnect VPN link to download and save file to your computer
- Go to the installer that downloaded to your computer, and double-click on it to install
You will be prompted for the server name (enter swatvpn.swarthmore.edu) and then your Swarthmore credentials. The VPN client will connect and leave you logged in. (You may close the browser or go to another web page once the client has started).
When ready to quit the VPN session, open the minimized VPN client icon in the taskbar or the dock and select the End Session button. The VPN application will stay running until you exit from it. Once the client has been downloaded, there is no need to go back to the SwatVPN web page.
To use the VPN at a later time:
- On a Mac: Open the Applications folder, click on the Cisco folder and select the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client.
- On Windows: Click on Start, Programs, Cisco, and select the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client.
By using VPN, you can connect to college servers as if you were on campus (see examples below).
VPN On iPad/iPhone
- Open the App Store
- Select Search
- In the Search Box, enter "anyconnect" and tap cisco anyconnect in the suggestions list
- Tap AnyConnect
- Tap Free, then INSTALL APP
- Select Install
- Tap AnyConnect icon on the iPad/iPhone home screen
- Choose OK to enable AnyConnect
- Select Connections from the AnyConnect home screen
- Select Add VPN Connection
- Tap Description, and enter SwatVPN
- Tap Server Address, and enter swatvpn.swarthmore.edu
- Tap Save
- To connect via VPN, after you connect to Wifi, go to the AnyConnect home screen
- Select SwatVPN, tap ON next AnyConnect VPN
- Log in using your Swarthmore username and password
- Tap Connect
VPN On Android
- Go to the Google Play store and install AnyConnect by Cisco Systems, Inc
- For Kindle devices, from the Amazon Kindle app store
- After install, tap the AnyConnect Icon to start the AnyConnect app
- Accept the End User License Agreement (EULA)
Click OK to continue
Tap Connection > Add New VPN Connection to configure
Choose Description, and enter SwatVPN
Choose Server Address, and enter swatvpn.swarthmore.edu
To connect via VPN, after you connect to Wifi, go to the AnyConnect home window
Tap Connection, and choose SwatVPN
Log in using your Swarthmore username and password
If prompted, tap Connect
VPN On Chromebook
- Go to the Chrome Web Store (click Web Store icon on Google Chromebook desktop)
- Search for Cisco AnyConnect
- Click Add to Chrome button to install
- if prompted to confirm new app, click Add
- Once installed, the AnyConnect icon will appear on your application screen - double-click icon to configure VPN
- Wait while client initializes - may take 2-3 minutes
- Once available, click Add New Connection button
- For Name, enter SwatVPN
- For Server Address, enter swatvpn.swarthmore.edu
- Click Save Changes to continue
- To connect via VPN, right-click the "Wifi" icon in the bottom-right taskbar
- Select VPN from menu
- Select SwatVPN from under Cisco AnyConnect
- Log in using your Swarthmore Username and Password
- if prompted to accept security certificate, click Import and Continue. Otherwise, click Accept.