Printing for Students
Printers are available in public computing areas and in the dorms for student use. There is no charge for printing but we ask students to refrain from printing multiple copies or wasting paper. Large print jobs such as multi-copy color printing, binding, and posters for student organizations should be referred to Office Services at email@example.com.
Connecting to a Public Printer from Windows
- Click your Start button
- Select Search (Windows 7, 10). In Windows 8, select Search from the Charms Bar.
- Type in \\restech and press Enter. If prompted for credentials, enter GARNET\username in the username field, and your password. (Note** may need to type the complete address if print jobs fail to complete: \\restech.garnet.swarthmore.edu)
- Find the printer you're looking for.
- Double-click on the printer (it will install automatically and be available from your Printers control panel)
|Public Area Printers, listed by Printer Name (and Driver Type)|
|Alice_Paul (HP P4014)||BCC (HP M607)||Cornell_Public (Canon iR-ADV 8585/8595 PS)|
|Dana (HP 4250)||Danawell (HP P3015)||Hallowell (HP M604)|
|Kemp (HP P4014)||MaryLyons (HP P3015)||McCabe_3rd (HP M607)|
|McCabe_Public (Canon iR-ADV 8585/8595 PS)||Mertz (HP M604)||NPPR_Lobby (HP M604) and NPPR_Print_Room (HP M604)|
|Palmer (HP 4200)||Parrish (HPM506)||Roberts (HP M506)|
|Shane (HP LaserJet 600 M601)||Underhill (Canon iR-ADV 4225/4235 PS)||Wharton (HP M604)|
|Willets (HP P4014)||Woolman (HP 4250)||Worth_J (HP P2055)|
Connecting to a Public Printer from Mac OS X
NOTE: If installing the Canon printer located in McCabe, Cornell, or Underhill, first download and install the Canon Mac Printer Drivers. Run the PS_v4.15.0_Mac.dmg. The installer may warn that it "can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer". You can launch the installer by using ctrl+click on the file, and choosing Open.
To Install Student Area printers:
- Open System Preferences, select Print & Scan, and click the lock in the lower left corner to make changes.
- Select the +(plus sign) to add a printer
- Click the IP tab
- In the Address field, type restech (Note** may need to type complete address if print jobs fail to complete: restech.garnet.swarthmore.edu)
- Make sure the Protocol is set to Line Printer Daemon - LPD
- In the Queue field, enter the name of your printer, as listed in table above - don't include the driver type
- Under Print Using, select the option for Select Printer Software....
- Search for and select the correct driver.
- HP drivers: built into the OS (Choose HP LaserJet PCL 4/5)
- Canon drivers: download and install Mac Canon Print Drivers. The installer may warn you that it "can't opened because it is from an unidentified developer". You can launch the installer by using ctrl+click on the file, and choosing Open.
- Click Add.
- After you click Add, the Printer list window will reappear with the selected printer added to the list of printers.
Connecting to a Printer from a Linux system
Swarthmore ITS does not currently support printing from Linux.