<< Return to Chapter 15: General Policies


Some staff members travel on College-related business as part of their professional responsibilities. All College-related travel must be authorized in advance by your department head. Additional travel information is provided on the Authorization for Official Travel Form, which must be completed and on file in the Business Office prior to your departure.

Authorized and documented travel carries accidental death coverage while you are conducting College business out of town, within the provisions of the coverage. You must file a Travel Expense Report within 10 days after you return from the trip. Original receipts, not copies, will be required.

For more information on travel authorization, travel advances, allowable expenses, or expense reporting, contact your supervisor or budget officer.


For non-exempt staff that travel on College-related business for longer than one day, special Federal Wage and Hour regulations define how the staff member is paid for travel time. The College guidelines follow explicitly the relevant regulations of the Fair Labor Standards Act.

Travel time on public transportation that occurs during the employee's normal work hours are paid at straight time even if they occur on a Saturday or Sunday. For example: if your work schedule is 8:30 to 4:30 and you travel on a Sunday between 8:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m., you would be paid for 2.5 hours of travel time.

Employees will not be paid for travel time outside of their normal schedule unless requested to do so by their supervisor for legitimate business reasons. For example, if your supervisor requests that you travel from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. on a Saturday, you would be paid for that travel time. If you chose to travel at that time for your convenience, the time would not be paid.

All hours worked while away on College business are paid at straight time, except for hours worked in excess of forty (40) in one week. Both work and travel time are considered in the calculation of overtime.