Temporary/Summer Employment Requirements
The hiring supervisor will be required to complete a Temporary Payroll Action Form (available on the HR web site under Forms) for each summer/temporary hire and submit it to Human Resources at least one week prior to the employee's scheduled start date to allow adequate time for processing. If the Temporary Payroll Action Form is not completed, Human Resources will be unable to process the hire. If a prospective hire currently works for the College or has previously worked for the College: Please contact Janis Leone (x8397) or Human Resources (x7359) in Human Resources to determine if any re-hire paperwork is required. It is imperative that re-hire paperwork be completed prior to or on their first day of work.
All new hires: Please ensure that all new hires visit Human Resources (Pearson 110) on or before their first day of work to complete required paperwork, including the appropriate required forms for background clearances.
Completion of the following forms will be required before every employee begins work:
- W-4: Tax withholding forms
- I-9 Form: Identification to validate U.S. work authorization must be presented for the completion of the I-9 Form. Please see the HR website under Forms for the required list of acceptable identification documents. All documents must be originals-we cannot accept copies. Birth certificates must be state issued with an official raised seal, hospital issued certificates are not acceptable.
- Notice of Consent Form
- PA Child Abuse History & Waiver
- Disclosure Statement
- Post Employment Data Form
- Emergency Evacuation Referral Form
- Worker's Compensation Information Acknowledgement
- Direct Deposit Form with voided check
- Local Earned Income Tax Residency Certification Form
- Medical Emergency Consent Form (if under age 18)
As a reminder, without the completion of the above forms and presentation of original identification documents, summer or temporary hires are not permitted to work. The I-9 requirements and other documents adhere to regulations from the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Labor. Please do your part to help us ensure compliance.
Please note: Potential new hires between the ages of 14 to 18 (unless they have graduated from high school) will be required to present working papers. These are obtained through the local school district. It is illegal for a minor to work on campus without working papers on file with HR. In addition, we are legally not permitted to employ anyone under the age of 14. If you are considering hiring a minor that is under the age of 18 and has not yet graduated from high school, please click here http://www.swarthmore.edu/x16732.xml to review the child labor guidelines or contact a human resources representative.
Please process current Swarthmore students through the Student Employment Office (SEO) electronic hiring system.