Dear Students, Faculty, and Staff Members,
As you know, guidance concerning COVID-19 safety precautions continues to evolve. We understand that it can be difficult to keep track of the changes, especially given that some of the safety measures put out by various federal and/or state agencies are inconsistent and leave room for ambiguity. The College continues to act and make decisions in accordance with the recommendations from our own medical and public health experts and in the best interest of the health and well-being of our campus community.
With that said, please note the clarifications and changes below. As a reminder, we will continue to closely monitor the pandemic and make appropriate adjustments to our safety protocols and policies as needed.
Access to Campus Facilities
Effective today, faculty and staff members will have OneCard access to the campus facilities they would normally be able to access. We ask that staff members continue to coordinate with their supervisors before coming to campus.
All current students will have access to certain buildings in accordance with our summer schedule. You can check your building access by logging in to the OneCard center and selecting “My Current Access.” If you have questions about your access to a certain facility, please contact the OneCard office.
Please note the following exceptions:
- The Matchbox Fitness Center — Given the nature of the physical activity at the Matchbox, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to enter.
• Please make sure you complete the “Assumption of Risk/Release of Liability” and “PAR-Q” (physical activity readiness questionnaire) through MySwarthmore (Personal Information) before trying to access the facility as your OneCard access is tied to an active waiver.
- McCabe Library — In addition to students, faculty, and staff members, we’ve also determined that it is safe for immediate family members of faculty and staff to access McCabe Library. (This does not apply to Friends Historical Library or Peace Collection.)
Please note that our indoor facilities remain closed to visitors/outside guests. In most cases, you must have your OneCard to enter buildings on campus. One exception: The restrooms on the first floor of Kohlberg Hall are open for visitor use Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Pennsylvania Department of Health’s mask mandate remains in place for most of Pennsylvania, including Delaware County. It has, however, been updated, and as we shared last month, fully vaccinated individuals are no longer required to wear masks while outdoors. Pennsylvania plans to lift the mandate by June 28 or when 70% of adults are fully vaccinated, whichever comes first.
For the sake of the health and safety of our campus community, we are moving cautiously, and the College may continue to maintain masking policies that are stricter than guidance from the Pennsylvania Department of Health and/or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Should we update the College’s masking policy after the state mandate is lifted, we will let you know.
Please note the following immediate updates to our masking policy:
- Individuals who are not fully vaccinated must continue to wear masks indoors and outdoors. Individuals working alone in a single office may remove their masks if their office door is closed.
- In public settings, where there is a greater likelihood for more interactions between those who are fully vaccinated and those who are not, all individuals, regardless of vaccination status, are required to continue wearing masks while indoors, unless you are actively eating or drinking. Examples of those locations include McCabe Library, Sharples Dining Hall, and Essie Mae’s.
- Aside from those more public settings, fully vaccinated individuals are no longer required to wear masks indoors, provided that they are in groups of 20 or fewer people. (As a reminder, an individual is fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, or the single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.)
Masks are not required while using the Matchbox Fitness Center, given that it’s only open to fully vaccinated individuals.
Please remember that some individuals may choose to continue wearing masks even when they are not required to do so, and we urge everyone to be sensitive to and understanding of those personal choices. We shouldn’t assume that someone wearing a mask isn’t fully vaccinated.
Although Pennsylvania has removed occupancy limits, we will continue to maintain some occupancy restrictions throughout the summer; we will revisit them ahead of the fall semester. If you are not fully vaccinated or are not sure if those around you are fully vaccinated, please try to maintain at least 3 feet of physical distance. Please note that occupancy signs that are posted outside of rooms around campus will be updated prior to the start of the fall semester. If you have any questions about usage and occupancies of spaces, please contact the Events Management Office.
As a reminder, we are now requiring all faculty and staff members to fill out the College’s vaccination status form in MySwarthmore. Doing so will provide us with an overview of the vaccination rate on campus and help us plan for the fall semester. We’ve provided detailed instructions on how to fill out the form, but if you have additional questions, please contact Human Resources.
Thank you for your attention to these changes.
The COVID-19 Planning Group