Safety and Wellbeing
As a reminder, all students, faculty, and staff will be required to verify they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19, including having received a booster shot, before returning to campus. More details can be found on the Vaccine Information page.
Good Hygiene Practices | Self Monitoring | Facilities
Good Hygiene Practices
Even when fully vaccinated, good hygiene practices are an essential part of supporting the health and wellbeing of our community members.
- Hands should be washed regularly throughout the day for at least 20 seconds with warm water and soap, especially before eating.
- Cough and sneeze into your elbow and wash hands promptly.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
Students are expected to monitor any symptoms during the weeks prior to their arrival on campus, and daily while on campus; however, they are not required to document their symptoms through the student health portal. If a student develops symptoms, they are required to inform the Student Health Center for evaluation.
Employees should monitor their health before coming to work. If the staff member’s temperature is 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher, or if they have any Coronavirus symptoms as described by the CDC, they are not permitted to come to campus and should contact their medical professional before returning to work in-person. Please notify your supervisor that you are unable to report to work.
Faculty and staff members who test positive for COVID-19, with either a College-provided test or through a test obtained on their own, are required to immediately notify the COVID-19 Employee Test Team (CETT) at CETT@swarthmore.edu and Theresa Maguire in Human Resources at email@example.com. You are encouraged, though not required, to inform your supervisor that you have tested positive for COVID-19.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about specific spaces.
Offices were not cleaned during COVID protocols, as we redirected EVS resources to more frequent and comprehensive sanitation efforts. EVS has returned to regular office cleaning schedules as of fall 2021.
Since the start of COVID protocols, the College has followed the guidance of and implemented the recommendations of the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) for the College HVAC systems. This includes:
- Upgraded air filtering from MERV (Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value) 8 to MERV 13 filters throughout the campus.
- Increased outside air mix with recirculated building air through air handlers (recirculated air passes through MERV 13 filters).
- Increased number of air changes in spaces per hour. This includes a complete air change in the morning before buildings open and a complete air change after buildings close.