Step-by-Step Frank 5 Application Instructions
Application Deadline: Monday, March 19, 2018
All interested applicants to the Frank 5 Fellows program must complete an online application form with supporting materials by the deadline. Be sure to reach out to the Aydelotte Foundation with any questions that you may have well before the deadline.
Before you complete the application form, you should identify and secure the agreement of three individuals who will recommend you. One of the individuals must be a Swarthmore faculty, staff or alumni member. One individual must be someone from outside of Swarthmore College. For example, select someone from your professional, civic or volunteer network. The third individual can be from either group — it’s your choice. You will be asked to share their names and e-mails in the application. Even if you have received a nomination, you must still offer up recommendations as these forms serve different purposes. Note: Once you submit your application, your recommenders will receive an e-mail asking them to complete an online form. (FYI, none of your recommenders can include family members.)
The recommender should be prepared to comment on:
- How they know you, in what capacity, and for how long.
- How you embody qualities shared by liberal arts graduates such as creative thinking and problem solving and why you would be a good fit for the Frank 5 Fellows program.
- Your ability to and interest in reaching out to and engaging with diverse public audiences.
Your ability to take initiative and see projects through to completion.
- Anything else they think the Foundation should know about you.
Answer the online application questions. A preview of the narrative questions is available. A completed application will ALSO consist of the following elements to be uploaded:
- Link to a short video (60 seconds max) that shares something about your story and what you bring to the conversation. This is a way for us to learn more about you and your point of view. (Note: We don’t expect professional production quality, but if selected we will use this piece to introduce you to public audiences.) (Process: #1. Upload your video to a YouTube or Vimeo account that you have created. #2. Add any privacy settings that are appropriate for you. #3. If you password-protect your account, please be sure to list that password when you share the link to your video.)
- One-page resume (PDF format)
- Contact information for your three recommenders
- Allow the time necessary to carefully prepare your application.
- Read the guidelines [pdf] carefully; they are designed to help you through the process.
- Applications can be completed in more than one session. In order to start and stop your application before your final submission, you must use the same browser on the same computer for all of your sessions. To restart your application, simply click on the link again and resume your responses.
Please note: Applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee that includes Swarthmore faculty and staff. Decisions will be based on an applicant’s overall fit with the program’s objectives.
For more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Frank 5 Fellows Intro
- Who Can Apply
- Fellowship Benefits & Key Dates
- How Frank 5 Stories Will Be Shared
- Online Application