Discussion Group Community Guidelines
The following are the rules and regulations for using the Swarthmore alumni discussion groups. A complete list of groups is available through our Alumni Social Media and Discussion Group catalog. If you have any questions, please contact the office of Alumni & Parent Engagement directly at email@example.com.
- Using the Swarthmore discussion group for any commercial activity is strictly prohibited.
- Sign your name and class year at the end of each message. It is also helpful to include your email address. This information helps other members of the discussion group respond to your message directly.
- While discussion group topics tend to be very broad, we ask that you not post to the discussion groups for non-alumni (offering a friend's apartment, looking for jobs for non-alumni, etc.). You may post job openings that you feel would be beneficial to your discussion group community.
- Be Concise. Messages more than two screens in length are difficult for some participants to read. Shorter messages move discussions along at a more lively pace.
- Before sending a reply, consider whether it should go to everyone on the list or just to the person whose message you are replying to. If you think it will be of general interest, then send it to the list; if not, be careful to reply only to the message originator.
- Many of us have found that learning is promoted by dialogue in a spirit of inquiry, curiosity, and mutual respect. Please conduct your discussion in that spirit when using the discussion group.
- If you wish to communicate privately with individuals on the list rather than to all list participants, be sure to reply to an individual’s email address and not to the list address.
- When replying to a previous message, it helps readers if you quote the part of the message (not the whole message) that you are replying to. All discussion group readers can then respond to your message in the proper context.
- The College reserves the right to remove people without notice from the discussion group for inappropriate postings.