Contemplating a Leave of Absence?
If you receive financial aid, then you should consult with the Financial Aid Office staff before making any "leave" decisions so that you understand the aid implications of taking time away.
I-20, DACA, or Undocumented students
International, DACA or Undocumented students should be sure to consult with Jennifer Marks-Gold (Director of International Student Services) before making any "leave" decisions.
- Impact of Taking a Leave of Absence on F-1 Practical Training Eligibility: International students returning from a Leave of Absence enter the U.S. on a new, initial I-20. For this reason, they must complete another full academic year in F-1 status before they are eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT). If you plan to apply for OPT, you must be enrolled as a full-time student for at least 2 semesters prior to your anticipated OPT start date.
If possible, you should talk with Asst. Dean for Academic Affairs Liz Derickson about your interest in taking a leave of absence.
If possible, you should also consult with your academic advisors about a potential leave of absence.
Decided to take a leave of absence?
Leaving during the current semester or withdrawing permanently from the college
Once you have made a decision to withdraw from a current semester (Fall 2017) or to withdraw permanently from the college you must notify Dean Liz Derickson. Send Dean Derickson a timely email message with the following content:
- a statement of your intent to take a leave or withdraw
- example: "I plan to withdraw from the current semester and take a leave of absence."
- example: "I am transferring to another college and will not return to Swarthmore."
- your planned semester of return, if any and if known - e.g. Spring 2018
- the name of the dean with whom you consulted on your leave plans, if any
- the reason for your leave (medical, travel, personal, other - you can keep it very brief)
- your planned departure date from campus, if you are leaving during a semester
Dean Derickson will review your leave request, notify the relevant offices (Registrar, Student Accounts, etc) and advise you on other necessary steps. If you do not receive a reply to your intent-to-leave email message within 2 business days, then please contact Dean Derickson again via email. If you do not have email access, then you should call Dean Derickson at 610-328-8475 and leave a message.
Leaving for the upcoming semester (Spring 2018)
You must complete the required Check-In Form, available in the student e-forms section of mySwarthmore.
- Deadline: November 15 for a Spring semester leave
- Deadline: April 1 for a Fall semester leave
- Leave decisions are possible after these deadlines. Please talk with Dean Derickson about the details.
To access the Check-In Form from off-campus, you will need use VPN. See the ITS website for more info about VPN.
If you are studying abroad through the Swarthmore Off-Campus Study Office, please know that is not considered a "leave of absence." If you are studying abroad through the Swarthmore Off-Campus Study Office and are considering withdrawing from your study abroad program, be sure to consult with the Off-Campus Study Office staff.
Access to College Services & Activities
Generally, students who take a voluntary leave of absence from the college may seek help with academic or career planning, and may visit campus occasionally. If a student mis-uses any college services, then the student may lose access to all services or privileges. For more details on whether various campus services or activities are available to students on a voluntary leave of absence, please read the guide to Services and Activities Available to Students on Voluntary Leave [PDF].
If you are exploring transferring to another school, please see the Registrar's Office website for helpful advice on transferring. If you have arrived at a final decision that you will transfer to another school, then please complete the Check-In Form in mySwarthmore (see details above). On the Check-In Form, please leave the "Planned Semester of Return" box blank and please note in the "Reason" section that you are transferring to another school.