Offers twelve American students of exceptional ability and outstanding achievement the opportunity to pursue graduate studies in engineering, mathematics, or the sciences at Churchill College, the University of Cambridge for one year. Churchill College focuses on the sciences, engineering, and mathematics.
- Must be between the ages of 19 and 26
- Exceptional academic achievement in all disciplines, but especially in the major, as indicated by course grades (previous Scholars have had a grade point average of at least 3.7)
- A capacity to contribute to the advancement of knowledge in the sciences, engineering, or mathematics by pursuing original, creative work at an advanced level as demonstrated by awards and prizes and by letters of reference
- Applicants in the sciences and engineering will show extensive laboratory experience, internships, or other related work, while applicants in mathematics will show substantial independent work or other projects
- Scores on the Graduate Record Examinations (Please note that the GRE Subject Test is no longer required.)
- Outstanding personal qualities
October 7, 2013
How to Apply
Follow the link below to register on the Churchill web site and gain access to an official application. Complete the application on-line and turn in all the following materials to Parrish 118 by the internal deadline, above:
- Application (including essay questions)
- Four letters of recommendation (Recommenders must complete their letters on-line. In addition, please ask them to email their letters to firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- GRE scores
- Transcript: The Fellowships and Prizes Office will obtain an unofficial copy of your college transcript. If you are selected as one of Swarthmore's nominees, you will need to secure an official transcript from the Registrar's Office.
- After submitting your application materials, you will be interviewed in person (or by telephone if you are unavailable in person) by members of the Fellowships and Prizes Committee.
- When all interviews are completed, the committee will select Swarthmore's nominees and notify you of your status.
- You will have an opportunity to make final revisions to your application before submitting it to Churchill. The national deadline is in mid-November.
- Churchill will notify you in December/January to tell you if you have been selected as a finalist, and will conduct an interview (by telephone).
- Final selections are made in March.