Summer Research Opportunities
Multi-Disciplinary Research Programs
|Highlighted Resource: Swarthmore Summer Research Opportunities|
Grants from a variety of college-administered sources are available to support research by students in each of the three divisions during the summer. All continuing students are eligible to apply for summer research support; however priority is generally given to students who are currently completing their junior year. Graduating seniors are not eligible. More.
- Committee on Institutional Cooperation Twelve midwestern universities sponsor a summer program for students who are planning to pursue a graduate degree. Participants receive a stipend and are paired with a faculty mentor for 8-10 weeks.
- Summer Research Opportunity Program (SROP) at Northwestern University Eight-week research opportunity in which students are paired with Northwestern faculty. Opportunities in the humanities are available, but most research positions are in the sciences.
- UCLA Summer Programs for Undergraduate Research (SPUR) Designed for upper-division undergraduate students who plan to pursue an academic career; students can pursue almost any area of research at SPUR in collaboration with a UCLA faculty mentor.
University of Michigan Summer Research Opportunity Program A program for juniors and seniors who plan to pursue a Ph.D. Students work with a faculty mentor or in a team and receive a generous stipend.
Science & Mathematics
|Highlighted Resource: Research Experience for Undergraduates|
Research Experience for Undergraduates is a program of the National Science Foundation offering students a chance to work in paid summer research positions throughout the US - includes engineering, computer science, economics, life, physical, mathematical and social sciences.
- Center for Neural Science For 10 weeks, students research with NYU neuroscience faculty. Students are involved in all stages of research and are matched based on their interests.
- Computer Science Research at Princeton Participants in the Princeton Undergraduate Research Experience (PURE) program draft a proposal and find a Princeton faculty member to work with over the summer.
- NASA Undergraduate Student Research Program 10-week research experience at a NASA center for science, math, and engineering majors only; $6,000 stipend.
- ORNL Science Research Internships Swarthmore alumnus Bob Cushman '71, a Research Scientist at ORNL, encourages students to apply for their excellent summer research opportunities.
- Research Institute in Experimental Psychology An eight week research opportunity at the University of South Carolina. Students spend 35 hours a week in an active labratory and attend a two-hour weekly practicum on research methods.
- Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships Paid internships in science and engineering at Department of Energy facilities.
- NIH Summer Biomedical Research Summer programs at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) provide an opportunity to spend a summer working at the NIH side-by-side with some of the leading scientists in the world, in an environment devoted exclusively to biomedical research.
- NIST SURF National Institute of Standards and Technology and the National Science Foundation invite undergraduate students majoring in science, mathematics, and engineering.
- Swarthmore Pre-Med Office Maintains a list of health-related summer research opportunities across the country.
- Center for Disease Control Internship opportunities for qualified undergraduate and graduate students to gain meaningful experiences in public health
Summer Internships in Biology A list compiled by the Biology Department at Columbia University. Includes biomedical laboratory, ecology and environmental studies and marine biology research opportunities and minority-specific programs.
- Gilder Lehrman History Scholars Program An opportunity for college sophomores and juniors to engage in primary-source research in New York City.
- Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research Students learn how to use statistics through data from the ICPSR, the world's largest archive of digital social science data. Recommended for history, psychology, anthropology/sociology, economics, political science and public policy majors. Stipend and housing provided.
- MIDAS Project Psychiatry Internship Rhode Island Hospital's Department of Psychology sponsors a clinical-research internship in the summer. Students observe evaluations of psychiatric patients, attend weekly diagnostic case conferences, and enter data into research databases.
- Summer Science Fellowship in Psychology For seven weeks, students work in psychology labratories in Washington, D.C. Limited to rising college seniors.