25 March 2009
Staff Advisory Council
Meeting Minutes for 25 March 2009
Members present: Terry McGrath, John Dukes, Tami Gura, Lois Falzone, Cathy Pescatore, Pat Hearty, Carolyn Vance, Joseph Deasey, Brady Gonsalves, Lynn Grady, and Val Gibson.
Ex Officio members present: Melanie Young representing Human Resources and Shar LaMar representing the Equal Opportunity Office
The Staff Advisory Council (SAC) of Swarthmore College was called to order at 9:38 am on Wednesday March 25, 2009 by moderator Mary Marissen. The following items were discussed:
All Staff Meeting
- The meeting was taped and has been made available in DVD format to departments in which employees were not able to attend the meeting.
- The DVD will be available for employees to view in the Library at their convenience.
- A suggestion was made that perhaps the DVD could be shown at lunch at one of the Coffee Bars.
- Although some employees reported feeling reassured by the budget information communicated, others said they remain anxious about job security.
- Some employees hoped that more everyday actions would be addressed during the sustainability portion.
- Staff is reminded that the College does recycle all paper, plastic, and cans that are placed in the recycling receptacles.
- EVS will provide a recycling receptacle for any area that is in need of one.
- An election is needed in both the Rose Garden Circle and Sharples Circle to replace members whose terms are expiring.
- It is hoped that elections can be held so that the results of the elections will be known by the May SAC meeting.
Middle States Accreditation
- SAC members will meet with the Accreditation team on Monday March 30, 2009 at 3 pm in the Scheuer Room.
- Ad Hoc members should not meet with the Accreditation team at this time.
- Complaints have been received about a barking dog in a private office on campus.
- The current Pet Policy in Staff and Instructional Staff Handbooks does not specifically address this nuisance.
- Melanie asked that Human Resources be notified so that they can take action.
- Facilities will share the more specific language about pets used in the college housing leases with Human Resources in case the Pet Policies in the Handbooks should be reconsidered.
- An announcement was made at the All-Staff meeting about a Committee formed to make contingency plans due to the economic crisis.
- Mary Marissen has been added to the Committee based on a comment about the need for non-exempt staff presence.
- A web site, including an electronic suggestion box, will be used by the Committee to share information about their work and should be operational very soon.
- Open Forum meetings will be held in April so that employees can give any suggestions that they might have for the next budget year.
- Melanie stated that the College has received a letter from the local carpenters union that they will formally begin to picket at the Greenhouse construction site. A giant inflatable rat was used by the union as a protest on Tuesday.
Being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 10:34 am.