27 May 2009
Staff Advisory Council
Meeting minutes for 27 May 2009
Tami Gura, John Dukes, Mimi Weiler, Lois Falzone, Cathy Pescatore, Terry McGrath, Carolyn Vance, Joseph Deasey, Anna Headley, and Brad Rumsey.
Ex-Officio members present:
Melanie Young representing Human Resources and Shar LaMar representing the EEO Office
The Staff Advisory Council (SAC) of Swarthmore College was called to order at 9:39 am on Wednesday May 27, 2009 by moderator Mary Marissen. The following items were discussed:
New SAC Member
- Janet McSwiggan was introduced as the new SAC representative from the Rose Garden Circle. Janet is replacing Mimi Weiler, whose term expired, effective September 2009.
- A representative from Sharples Circle is still needed.
On Campus Workshops
- On campus workshops are provided in the contract with the College’s employee assistance program provider, Carebridge.
- These programs may be offered this summer and may cover subjects such as stress management, personal money management, and coping with uncertainty.
Ad-Hoc Financial Planning Group
- No decisions have been made by the Committee yet but work continues on a contingency plan.
- The Ad-Hoc Committee will not meet during the summer and will resume in the autumn.
- SAC representatives realize that there is some confusion about actions employees observe on campus.
- Several topical meetings may be scheduled over the summer to alleviate this confusion.
- Tentative topics include: “Why Are We Spending Money on This?”, “How Safe are My Benefits?” and “How Safe is My Job?”.
- It is thought that these topics could be discussed over a brown bag type of lunch meeting and will be advertised in the Faculty-Staff email digest and the SAC website.
Faculty/Staff Benefits Committee
- There is an opening on this committee for another staff member.
- SAC representatives are asked to solicit interest from employees in their Circles, emphasizing that it is a working committee which meets monthly. Interested people should be able to attend meetings and be willing to contribute to discussion. This is a 3 year term. There are three spots for staff on the committee.
- Michael Jones’ term is up.
- The other current staff members serving are Anne Garrison, McCabe Library, and Vince Vagnozzi, from the Post Office.
- All employees are encouraged to bring issues of concern to their SAC representatives to facilitate communication.
- SAC members are reminded to communicate regularly with their circles.
Being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 10:39 am.
Additional Meeting June 10, 2009
Members in attendance: John Dukes, Carolyn Vance, Lois Falzone, Mary Marissen, Anna Headley, Tami Gura, Pat Hearty, Janet McSwiggan, Betsy Durning, Brad Rumsey, Beth Baksi.
SAC met to choose a new staff representative for the Faculty Staff Benefits Committee. After lively discussion of the 13 names brought forward, Jen Moore was selected.