Catholic life at Swarthmore
Newman Catholic Campus Ministry is the effective presence of the Catholic Church within the Swarthmore College community.
We are part of the Church's wider ministry to non-sectarian universities and colleges throughout the world. We stand in union with our Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI, Shepherd of the Universal Church, and with our Archbishop, Justin Cardinal Rigali, Shepherd of the Church at Philadelphia. With all our brothers and sisters of the Church, we proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ, Son of God and Savior of the World.
With Christians everywhere we strive in every way to:
- Promote an awareness of and development of our relationship with God our Father.
- Foster Catholic Faith and spirituality on campus, respectful always of the religious traditions that make up our campus communities.
- Join with the college administration, student groups and members of other faiths to affirm the foundation Faith in God provides for any who engage themselves in the pursuit of Knowledge and Truth.
- Lay our lives constantly before God in worship and prayer, especially through the celebration of the Eucharist and the other Sacraments of the Church.
- Build up in love and mutual respect a community of believers and others who pray and work with us to support and encourage one another in life and in the endeavors of academia.
- Witness, by word and deed, the redemptive love of Jesus Christ that forgives all and works for the good of all.
Invite all to gain a deeper understanding of the Catholic Faith and the Church's moral instruction to every age and nation.
- Aid our sisters and brothers on their journey of life, especially the poor, the oppressed, those sick in mind or body and those who are neglected by others, that all of us may work toward a world of justice and peace for all.
We call upon God -- Father, Son and Holy Spirit -- to be the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and End of all we are. We ask the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the saints, and of our patron, Venerable John Henry Newman, that the good work, begun by God in all of us, will come to fruition in the fullness of His Kingdom in Heaven.
Our Chaplain is Rev. Jaehwa J. Lee
Office: Bond Hall - 20
Father Jaehwa has a B.S. from Columbia University, M.S. from University of Pennsylvania, and an M.Div. from St. Charles Borromeo Seminary of Archdiocese of Philadelphia.
He was appointed to the TriCo Newman colleges in 2011 from Archdiocese of Philadelphia. Before the TriCo ministry, He has served the Newman Catholic Apostlate at Drexel University, University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, and University of Pennsylvania before joing the Tri-Co Newman Catholic Apostolate. He also served as a Parochial Vicar at Ss. Peter and Paul and Maternity B.V.M. of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.