Charles and Harriett Cox McDowell Professor of Philosophy
Education | Postions Held | Honors and Awards |Specialization/Competence/Languages | Memberships | Professional Activites | Service
Publications: Books | Articles | Reviews | Refereed Papers | Invited Papers and Comments
Complete CV [pdf]
- Ph.D., Philosophy, The University of Chicago, 1981
- M.A., Philosophy, The University of Chicago, 1976
- A.B., Philosophy and History (Double Major), Middlebury College, 1975 Magna cum laude, High Honors in History, Phi Beta Kappa
Back to Top
- Charles and Harriett Cox McDowell Professor of Philosophy, Swarthmore College, 2004-present; Professor, 1996-2004; Chair, 1994-present; Acting Chair, 1992-3; Associate Professor 1988-1996; Assistant Professor 1982-8
- Jay Newman Endowed Visiting Chair in Philosophy of Culture, Brooklyn College, Fall 2010
- Gastprofessor, Deutsches Seminar, Universität Freiburg, Winter 2009-10
- Gastprofessor, Lehrstuhl fur Theoretische Philosophie, Universitat Erufurt, Jan-July, 2005; June 2007
- Visiting Professor, Kulturwissenschaften, University of Bremen (Germany), Jan.-Feb. 1999
- Visiting Associate Professor of Philosophy, Stanford University, 1993-4
- Visiting Lecturer, Philosophy, University of Essex (England), Spring-Summer, 1991
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Philosophy, Purdue University, 1981-82
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Philosophy, University of Arkansas, Spring 1981
- Instructor in Philosophy (adjunct), Illinois Institute of Technology, 1978-80
- Lecturer in Philosophy (adjunct), The University of Chicago, Summer 1978
Back to Top
Recent Honors and Awards
- International Research Collaboration Award, University of Sydney, Department of Philosophy, March-April 2014
- International Collaborator, Programa Interuniversitario de Doctorado en Filosofía (Universities of Murcia, Alicante, Almería, Castilla-La Mancha, La Laguna, and Zaragozza, Spain)
- Foreign Member, Finnish Academy of Sciences and Letters, Elected April 2010
- Visiting Scholar, Center for Literary Studies, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, January 2011
- External Senior Fellow, Freiburg Research Institute for Advanced Studies (FRIAS), School of Language and Literature, University of Freiburg, 2009-10
- DAAD Interdisciplinary Summer Seminar in German Studies, "Narratives of Modernity: From Lessing to Luhmann," Chicago, Summer 2009
- James A. Michener Faculty Fellowship, Swarthmore College, 2009-10
- DAAD/German Academic Exchange Service, Fellowship as Visiting Professor, University of Erfurt, Jan.-July 2005
Back to Top
Areas of Specialization
- Aesthetics and Theory of Criticism, Philosophy of Language,
- Philosophy and Literature, German Idealism, Wittgenstein, Romanticism
Areas of Competence
- German (active), French (reading)
Back to Top
Back to Top
- “Philosophy as Articulation: Austin and Deleuze on Conceptual Analysis,” with Tamsin Lorraine, in Beyond the Analytic-Continental Divide: Pluralist Philosophy in the Twenty-First Century, eds. Paul Livingston, Jeffrey Bell, and Andrew Cutrofello (London: Routledge), forthcoming.
- “Acknowledging the Moral Law” in Why Be Moral?, eds. Robert B. Louden and Beatrix Himmelmann (Berlin: de Gruyter), forthcoming
- "The Question of Truth in Literature: Die Poetische Auffassung der Welt," in The Ethical Content of Literature, ed. Garry L. Hagberg, forthcoming
- "Substances, Subjects, Emotions, and the Work of Poetry," in On Meaning, ed. José Cipriut (Cambridge, MA MIT Press), forthcoming
- “Preface” to Richard Wollheim, Art and Its Objects, in Cambridge Philosophy Classics series, (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2015).
- “Kant, Cavell, and the Circumstances of Philosophy,” The Journal of Aesthetic Education, Special Issue: Perfectionism and Education: Kant and Cavell on Ethics and Aesthetics in Society, 48, 3 (Fall 2014), pp. 73-86.
- “How Movies Think: Cavell on Film as a Medium of Art,” Estetika: The Central European Journal of Aesthetics LI/VII, 1 (2014), pp. 3-20
- “Hegel’s Account of the Unconscious and Why it Matters,” The Review of Metaphysics, 67, 3 (March 2014), pp. 491-516
“Doch sehnend stehst /Am Ufer du” (“But longing you stand on the shore”): Hölderlin, Philosophy, Subjectivity, and Finitude,” in The Relevance of Romanticism: Essays on German Romantic Philosophy, ed. Dalia Nassar (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2014), pp. 129-66.
- “Cavell and the American Jeremiad,” Journal of Philosophical Research, 39 (2014), pp. 377-91.
- "To Think Exactly and Courageously": Poetry, Ingeborg Bachmann's Poetics, and her Bohemia Poem," in The Philosophy of Poetry, ed. John Gibson (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2014), pp. 232-249.
- "Dangerous Knowledge: Harrison, Wittgenstein, and the Powers of Literary Art," in Language, Literature, Morality: Studies in the Philosophy of Bernard Harrison, ed. Patricia Hanna (Amsterdam: Rodopi, 2014), pp. 65-78.
- "Idealism in 19th Century British and American Literature," in The Impact of Idealism: The Legacy of Post-Kantian German Thought, Vol. 3: Aesthetics, Literature, and Literary Theory, eds. Christoph Jamme and Nicholas Boyle (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2013), pp. 121-144.
- "Ästhetische Erfahrung und Bedeutung in Kunstpraxen: Brechts 'Erinnerung an die Marie A.'" in Sinnliche Reflexivität. Zur sinnlichen Dimension der Künste, eds. Georg Bertram, Daniel Martin Feige, Frank Ruda (Zurich: Diophanes, 2012)
- “Aus Lyrik über Leben lernen: Literatur, Ethik und Emotion,” in Wissenformen und Wissensnormen des Zusammenlebens, ed. Ottmar Ette, (Berlin: de Gruyter, 2012), pp. 76-86.
- "Hegel," in Aesthetics: The Key Figures, ed. Alessandro Giovanelli (London: Continuum, 2012), pp. 75-85.
- Introduction---Cavell, Literary Studies, and the Human Subject: Consequences of Skepticism (with Bernard Rhie), in Stanley Cavell and Literary Studies: Consequences of Skepticism, eds. Richard Eldridge and Bernie Rhie (New York: Continuum, 2011), pp. 1-13.
- "Do Poets (First and Foremost) Have Ideas?" Zeitschrift für Ästhetik und Allgemeine Kunstwissenschaft, Sonderheft über Pragmatische Hermeneutik, ed. Matthias Buschmeier, forthcoming
- "Criticism and the Risk of the Self: Stanley Cavell's Modernism and Elizabeth Bishop's," in Stanley Cavell and Literary Criticism, eds. Andrew Taylor and James Loxley (Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2011) pp. 92-105
- “Narrative Rehearsal, Expression, and Goethe’s “Wandrers Nachtlied II”, in John Gibson and Noel Carroll, eds., Narrative, Emotion, and Insight (University Park, PA: Penn State University Press, 2011), pp. 118-42.
- “Rational Agency and Anxieties of Selfhood: Response to Robert Pippin,” National Humanities Center Project, “On the Human,” http://onthehuman.org/2010/04/participants_and_spectators/
- "Dewey's Aesthetics," in The Cambridge Companion to Dewey, ed. Molly Cochrane, (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2010), pp. 242-264.
- "Truth in Poetry: Particulars and Universals," in The Blackwell Companion to the Philosophy of Literature, eds. Garry Hagberg and Walter Jost, (Oxford: Blackwell, 2010), pp. 385-98.
- "Wittgenstein on Aspect-seeing, the Nature of Discursive Consciousness, and the Experience of Agency," in Seeing Wittgenstein Anew: new Essays on Aspect-Seeing,eds. William Day and Victor Krebs (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2010), pp. 162-79.
- "The Work of Literary Imagination: Hegel, Rilke, and What Writers Do," The Journal of Literary Theory 3, 1 (2009), pp. 1-17.
- "'Human beings don't know how to use these homes of theirs': Strategies of Poetic Dramatization in The Master Builder,"Ibsen Studies 9, 1 (2009), pp. 76-94.
- "Philosophy In/Of/As/And Film," Projections: The Journal for Movies and Mind 3, 1 (Summer 2009), pp. 109-116.
- "Introduction: Philosophy and Literature as Forms of Attention," in The Oxford Handbook of Philosophy and Literature, ed. Richard Eldridge (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009), pp. 3-15.
- "Finding/Founding Conviction: 'Forward: An Audience for Philosophy' and Aesthetic Problems of Modern Philosophy'" (in Spanish) in Encuentros Con Cavell, ed. David Perez Chico (in Encuentros Con Cavell, eds. David Pérez Chico y Moisés Barroso (Plaza y Valdees: San Rafael, Mexico: 2009), pp. 151-64.
- "Wordsworth and the Life of a Subject," in The Meaning of Life in Romantic Poetry and Poetics, ed. Ross Wilson (London: Routledge), (London: Routledge, 2009), pp. 57-80.
- "Reflection on Reflection: The Subject in Modernity," in Das neue Licht der Frühromantiker, eds. Bärbel Frischmann and Elizabeth Millán-Zaibert (Paderborn: Ferdinand Schöningh, 2008), pp. 65-70.
- "Modernity and the Human Subject," Zeitschrift für Aesthetik und Allgemeine Kunstwissenschaft 53, 1 (2008), pp. 49-59.
- "From Epistemology to Aesthetics," in German Idealism and Contemporary Philosophy,ed. Espen Hammer (London: Routledge, 2007), pp. 267-87.
- "Poetic Closure, Romanticism, and Hölderlin's Solution," Prism(s): Essays in Romanticism15 (2007), pp. 147-63.
- "Das Ende der Erzählung," trans. Alex Burri and Wolfgang Huemer, in Kunst denken, eds. Wolfgang Huemer and Alex Burri (Paderborn: Mentis, 2007), pp. 1-16.
- "Hegel on Music," in Hegel and the Arts, ed. Stephen Houlgate (Evanston, IL: Northwestern University Press, 2007), pp. 119-45.
- "'To Bear the Momentarily Incomplete': Subject Development and Expression in Hegel and Holderlin," Graduate Faculty Philosophy Journal: Special Issue on Expressivism, 27, 2 (2006), pp. 141-58.
- "History vs. (Epistemological) Theory," History and Theory 45 (October 2006), pp. 448-54.
- "Hegel, Schiller, and Holderlin on Art and Life," International Yearbook of German Idealism, 4 (2006), pp. 152-78.
- "Hidden Secrets of the Self": E. T. A. Hoffmanís Reading of Don Giovanni in The Legacy of Don Giovanni, eds. Lydia Goehr and Daniel Herwitz, (New York: Columbia University Press, 2006), pp. 33-26.
- "Literature as Material Figuration: Benjamin, Sebald, and Human Life in Time", Acta Philosophica Fennica 79 (2006), Visions of Value and Truth: Understanding Philosophy and Literature,, ed. Floora Ruokonen (Helsinki: Finnish Academy of Sciences, 2006), pp. 13-29.
- "Holderlin, Johann Christian Friedrich", The Encyclopedia of Philosophy, 2d. ed. (Detroit: Macmillan Reference, 2006), Vol. 4, pp. 433-36.
- "Rotating the Axis of our Investigation: Wittgenstein's Investigations and Holderlin's Poetology," in The Literary Wittgenstein, eds. John Gibson and Wolfgang Humer, (London: Routledge, 2004), pp. 211-27. German translation "Unsere Betrachtung musst gedreht werden. Wittgenstein's Untersuchungen und Hölderlin's Poetologie," in Witttgenstein und die Literatur, eds. John Gibson and Wolfgang Huemer (Frankfurt a. M.: Suhrkampf, 2006), pp. 309-332.
- "Romantic Subjectivity in Goethe and Wittgenstein," in Philosophical Romanticism, ed. Nikolas Kompridis, London: Routledge, 2006, pp 97-112.
Back to Top
- Philosophy and the Novel, by Alan Goldman, Philosophy and Literature, forthcoming
- After the Beautiful: Hegel and the Philosophy of Pictorial Modernism by Robert B. Pippin, Mind, forthcoming
- Nietzsche and The Birth of Tragedy, by Paul Raimond Daniels, The Review of Metaphysics, LXVIII, 2 (December 2014), pp. 872-74
- Kant and the Creation of Freedom: A Theological Problem by Christopher J. Insole, Philosophical Investigations 37, 2 (April 2014), pp. 178-82.
- Being Numerous: Poetry and the Ground of Social Life by Oren Izenberg The Chicago Review 58, 2 (Winter 2014), pp. 132-35.
- The Critical Imagination by James Grant, Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, Read review
- Hegel’s Naturalism: Mind, Nature, and the Final Ends of Life, by Terry Pinkard, Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, Read review
- The Ancient Quarrel between Philosophy and Poetry, by Raymond Barfield, Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews Read review
- The Cultural Spaces of the Arts and the Infelicitites of Reductionism by Joseph Margolis, The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, 69, 2 (Spring 2011), pp. 240-42.
- Pragmatism and Social Hope: Deepening Democracy in Global Contexts by Judith M. Green, Teachers College Record, Date Published: June 29, 2009 http://www.tcrecord.org ID Number: 15701
- Art and Ethical Criticism, ed. Garry L. Hagberg, Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, Read review
- "Work on Oneself": Wittgenstein's Philosophical Psychology by Fergus Kerr, The Review of Metaphysics, LXII, 3 (March 2009), pp. 666-668
- Why Photography Matters as Art as Never Before by Michael Fried, The National [Abu Dhabi]: The Review, March 27, 2009, p. 8.
- The Self in Moral Space: Life Narrative and the Good by David Parker, Comparative Literature, 61, 4 (Fall 2009), pp. 449-451.
- The House of Wittgenstein: A Family at War by Alexander Waugh, The National [Abu Dhabi]: The Review: October 30, 2008.
- Wittgenstein and the Moral Life: Essays in Honor of Cora Diamond, ed. Alice Crary, Ethics118 (April 2008), pp. 543-49.
- Double Vision: Moral Philosophy and Shakespearean Drama by Tzachi Zamir, Iyyun: The Jerusalem Philosophical Quarterly, Vol. 57 (January 2008), pp. 95-101.
- Reasons's Grief: An Essay on Tragedy and Value by George W. Harris, Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, Read Review
- Idealism Without Absolutes, eds. Tilottama Rajan and Arkady Plotnitsky, European Romantic Reviews, 17, 4 (October 2006), pp. 511-20
- Enlightenment Against Empire, by Sankar Muthu and Metaromanticism: Aesthetics, Literature, Theory by Paul Hamilton, European Romantic Review, 16, 3 (July 2005), pp. 390-95.
- Contending with Stanley Cavell, ed. Russell Goodman, Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, Read Review
- Classical and Romantic German Aesthetics, ed. J.M. Bernstein, Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews Read Review
- The Elusiveness of the Ordinary: Studies in the Possibility of Philosophy, by Stanley Rosen, Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, Read Review (Refereed online review journal)
Back to Top
- German Studies Association (Denver, 2013)
- American Comparative Literature Association, Providence, RI (2012)
- German Studies Association (Milwaukee, 2012)
- Tagung: Wissensformen und Wissensnormen des Zusammenlebens: Literatur, Kultur, Geschichte, Gesellschaft, FRIAS (2010)
- European Society for Aesthetics (Udine, Italy, 2010)
- Stanley Cavell and Literary Criticism (Edinburgh, 2008)
- 11th International French-German Philosophy Colloquium, Evian, France, 2005
Back to Top
Recent Invited Papers and Comments
- Conference: Nature and Culture in German Romanticism and Idealism, University of Sydney (2014)
- University of Sydney (2014)—departmental lecture + SHAPE seminar + Works in progress session
- Sydney Ideas (2014)
- University of Western Australia, Institute for Advanced Studies---lecture + Master class + philosophy department lecture), (2104)
- Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies, University of British Columbia, Vancouver: UBIAS Conference: “Scientific and Academic Knowledge” (2013)
- Freie Universität Berlin, Conference: “Selbstbezüglichkeit und sinnliche Erfahrung in Kunstwerke” (2013)
- Stockholm University, Sweden (2013)
- Stanford University, Conference: “Narrative Self, Lyric Self, Absent Self” (2103)
- Kalamazoo College, Conference: Art, Social Justice, and Critical Theory (2013)
- Wellesley College (2012)
- Villanova University (2012)
- Swarthmore College, Haidt Symposium: The Limits of Reason in Moral Thinking (2012)
- Cambridge University, Conference: “The Impact of Idealism” (2012)
- American Society for Aesthetics, St. Louis (2012)
- Workshop on Late Modern Philosophy, Boston University (2012)
- Conference: The American Style in Philosophy, University College, Dublin (2012)
- Conference: The Actuality of German Idealism, Freie Universität Berlin (2012)
- University of North Carolina, Conference on Bernard Williams on Tragedy, (2012)
- University of Washington, Seattle (2012)
- Lüneberg University, Germany (2011)
- Montreal Reflections on Art and Aesthetics Workshop, 2011
- Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Conference on Book IX of Paradise Lost (December 2011)
- Eastern Division, The American Society for Aesthetics, Philadelphia (2011)
- University of Notre Dame, Nanovic Institute (2011)
- Middlebury College (2011)
- GPPC Community Lecture Series, "The Uses of Literature" (2011)
- Swarthmore College Faculty Lecture Series (2011)
- Bryn Mawr Film Institute/GPPC Film Series (2011)
- American Philosophical Association, Invited Symposium on Hegel's Aesthetics, San Diego, 2011
- Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Center for Literary Studies, January 2011
- The American Society for Aesthetics (Victoria, BC, 2010)
- Stanley Cavell and Literary Studies (Cambridge, MA, 2010)
- Bard Music Festival, 2010 (Alban Berg)
- American Philosophical Association, Invited Symposium on Truth in Literature and Philosophy, Boston, 2010
- Leibniz Kolleg, Tübingen, 2010
- Tagung: Reflexivität in den Künsten. Zum Selbst- und Fremdbezug des (Sinnlichen in ästhetischen Medien, Freie Universität Berlin, 2010)
- FRIAS Literature Colloquium, 2010
- FRIAS Literature Section Reading Group on Literature and Science, 2010
- University of Parma, Workshop on Art, Ethics, and Cognition, 2010
- British Wittgenstein Society (plenary), "Wittgenstein and Aesthetics," 2010
- North American Kant Society (Chicago, 2010)
- University of Vermont (English Department) 2009
- Boston University, Institute for Philosophy and Religion, 2009
- Universität Bielefeld, Pragmatic Hermeneutics, Conference, 2009
- American Society for Aesthetics, Northhampton, MA (2008), Book Session onLiterature, Life, and Modernity, (Reply to comments by Robert Pippin and David Wellbery)
- Temple University, Center for the Study of the Humanities, Ibsen Conference, 2008
- Freiburg Research Institute in Advanced Studies (FRIAS), University of Freiburg, 2008
- Finnish Academy of Sciences and Letters, Helsinki, 2008
- Temple University, Conference on Imagination, 2008
- American Philosophical Association/ Society for the Philosophical, Study of the Visual Arts, Chicago, 2008
- The University of Chicago (History and Forms of Lyric Group) 2008
- University of Trondheim (Norway), 2007
- University of Warwick (England); Conference on Philosophy and Poetry, 2007
- University of East Anglia (England), 2007
- University of South Florida, 2007
- Bremen International Tagung on Recent Work on Romanticism, July 2007
- University of Trondheim, Norway, May 2007
- Boston University Conference on Tragedy and German Philosophy, March 2007
- American Society for Aesthetics, Milwaukee (2006)
- Greater Philadelphia Philosophy Consortium, Conference on Fiction and Emotion, October 2006
- German Society for Aesthetics, Hannover Plenary Address, 2005
- Conferencce: Art and Cognition, Universitat Erfurt, 2005
- Notre Dame University, Opening of de Bartlo Performing Arts Center, 2005
- Forum Kulturwissenschaften, Universitat Erfurt, 2005
- Philosophy Department, Universitat Erfurt, 2005
Back to Top
- American Philosophical Association
- American Society for AestheticsBritish Society for Aesthetics
- Coleridge-Wordsworth Association
- International Conference on Romanticism
- North American Society for the Study of Romanticism
- Holderlin Gsellschaft
Back to Top
Recent Professional Activities
- Editorial Board, Philosophy and Literature, 2014-present
- Program Committee, The American Society for Aesthetics (San Antonio, 2014)
- External Department Review, Philosophy, SUNY Purchase College (2014)
- External Departmental Review, Liberal Arts, The University of the Arts (2013)
- Advisory Board: Conversations: A Journal of Cavell Studies
- Agence Nationale de la Recherche [France], Project Reviewer, 2013
- External Departmental Review, Williams College, 2013
- External Dissertation Reader, Avram-Gurland Blaker, Temple University, 2012
- Research Fellowship Review, Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research, Council for the Humanities 2012
- DAAD Research Grant reviewer, 2012
- External Departmental Review, Comparative Humanities Program, Bucknell University, September 2011
- NEH Fellowships Panelist, July 2011
- Research Fellowship Review, Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences (2011)
- Research Fellowship Review, Research Foundation of Flanders (2011)
- External Dissertation Advisor, Jason Miller, University of Notre Dame, 2011
- Conference Co-Organizer, Stanley Cavell and Literary Studies, Cambridge, MA, October 2010
- Research Funding Proposal Review, State of Israel, 2010
- American Society for Aesthetics, Monograph Prize Committee, 2010
- External Dissertation Examiner, Adam Gonya, University of Leuven Peer Reviewer, Government of Ireland Postdoctoral Fellowships in the Humanities and Social Sciences
- Editorial Board, New Directions in German Studies, Continuum Publishing Group
- Fellowship Proposal Reviewer, DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service), 2009)
- Program Committee, American Society for Aesthetics (Denver, 2009)
- External Departmental Review [chair], Rhodes College (2009)
- External Reviewer, philosophy departments of the universities of the State of Israel, 2009
- External Project Reviewer, Finnish Academy of Arts and Sciences, (July 2008)
- External Departmental Review, University of Richmond, Feb. 2008
- Advisory Board, The Nordic Journal of Aesthetics
- External Dissertation Examiner (First Opponent), Dagfinn Dybvig, University of Trondheim (Norway), August 2007
- Chair, Greater Philosophy Philosophy Consortium, 2007-08, 2008-09
- External Departmental Review, Muhlenberg College, April 2007
- External Departmental Review, Washington and Lee University, October 2007
- External Dissertation Examiner, Brian Soucek, Columbia University, 2005
- Adivisory Board, International Conference on Romanticism (2005-08)
- Board Member, GPPC, 1997-present
- Editorial Board, Prisms (Journal of the American Conf. on Romanticism)
- External Promotion and Tenure Referee: Boston University [English] (2009), University of Oregon [German] (2009), Hebrew University of Jerusalem [English],(2008), University of North Carolina Charlotte (2007), Notre Dame University (2005)
- Referee: The University of Chicago Press, Harvard University Press, Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press, University of Michigan Press, Cornell University Press, SUNY Press, Temple University Press, The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, Journal of the History of Philosophy, Arion, Philosophy and Literature, Westview Press,Mosaic, Ethics, Journal of the American Musicological Society, Hypatia
Back to Top
- Chair, Interdisciplinary Programs, 2011-12
- Curriculum Committee, 2011-12
- Advisory Council to the Dean of Admissions, 2011-12
- Library Committee, 2011-12
- Chair: Interpretation Theory, 2008-09, 2011-12
- Research Ethics, 2005-06; Chair, 2006-07
- Social Responsibility Committee of the Board of Mangers, Fall 2004, 2005-06
- Committee on Promotion and Tenure, 1996-7, 1997-8, 2002-03, 2003-04
- Cognitive Science Committee 2003-04, Fall 2004, 2005-06
- Phi Beta Kappa Committee, 1984, 1989, 1996, 1997-8, 1999-2001 (Vice-President), Secretary/Treasurer 2002-03, President 2003-04
- German Studies Committee, 1994-5, 1995-6, 1996-7, 1997-8, 1998-9, 1999- 2000, 2000-01. 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, Fall 2004, 2005-06
- Interpretation Theory Committee, 2005-06, Fall 2004, 2000-03, 1995-6. 1994-5, 1992-3 (Chair)
Back to Top