Charles and Harriett Cox McDowell Professor of Philosopy
Education | Postions Held | Honors and Awards |Specialization/Competence/Languages | Memberships | Professional Activites | Service
Publications: Books | Articles | Reviews | Refereed Papers | Invited Papers and Comments
Complete CV [pdf]
- Ph.D., Philosophy, The University of Chicago, 1981
- M.A., Philosophy, The University of Chicago, 1976
- A.B., Philosophy and History (Double Major), Middlebury College, 1975 Magna cum laude, High Honors in History, Phi Beta Kappa
Back to Top
- Charles and Harriett Cox McDowell Professor of Philosophy, Swarthmore College, 2004-present; Professor, 1996-2004; Chair, 1994-present; Acting Chair, 1992-3; Associate Professor 1988-1996; Assistant Professor 1982-8
- Jay Newman Endowed Visiting Chair in Philosophy of Culture, Brooklyn College, Fall 2010
- Gastprofessor, Deutsches Seminar, Universität Freiburg, Winter 2009-10
- Gastprofessor, Lehrstuhl fur Theoretische Philosophie, Universitat Erufurt, Jan-July, 2005; June 2007
- Visiting Professor, Kulturwissenschaften, University of Bremen (Germany), Jan.-Feb. 1999
- Visiting Associate Professor of Philosophy, Stanford University, 1993-4
- Visiting Lecturer, Philosophy, University of Essex (England), Spring-Summer, 1991
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Philosophy, Purdue University, 1981-82
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Philosophy, University of Arkansas, Spring 1981
- Instructor in Philosophy (adjunct), Illinois Institute of Technology, 1978-80
- Lecturer in Philosophy (adjunct), The University of Chicago, Summer 1978
Back to Top
Recent Honors and Awards
- Foreign Member, Finnish Academy of Sciences and Letters, Elected April 2010
- Visiting Scholar, Center for Literary Studies, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, January 2011
- External Senior Fellow, Freiburg Research Institute for Advanced Studies (FRIAS), School of Language and Literature, University of Freiburg, 2009-10
- DAAD Interdisciplinary Summer Seminar in German Studies, "Narratives of Modernity: From Lessing to Luhmann," Chicago, Summer 2009
- James A. Michener Faculty Fellowship, Swarthmore College, 2009-10
Back to Top
Areas of Specialization
- Aesthetics and Theory of Criticism, Philosophy of Language,
- Philosophy of Mind, Philosophy and Literature, German Idealism, Wittgenstein
Areas of Competence
- Marx, Moral Philosophy, Logic
Back to Top
- Stanley Cavell and Literary Studies: Consequences of Skepticism, Eds. Richard Eldridge and Bernie Rhie, Continuum, (New York: Continuum, 2011).
- Oxford Handbook of Philosophy and Literature (ed.), (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009).
- Literature, Life, and Modernity (New York: Columbia University Press, 2008)
- An Introduction to the Philosophy of Art, (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003). Russian translation (Moscow: Respublika, forthcoming). - (Amazon) - (Barnes & Noble)- Tripod
- Stanley Cavell (ed.), (Cambridge University Press, 2003) - (Amazon) - (Barnes & Noble) -Tripod
- The Persistence of Romanticism: Essays in Philosophy and Literature, (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2001) - (Amazon) - (Barnes & Noble) - Tripod
- Leading a Human Life: Wittgenstein, Intentionality, and Romanticism (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1997) - (Amazon) - (Barnes & Noble) - Tripod
- Beyond Representation: Philosophy and Poetic Imagination (ed.) (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1996) - (Amazon) - (Barnes & Noble) - Tripod
- On Moral Personhood: Philosophy, Literature, Criticism, and Self-Understanding(Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1989) - (Amazon) - (Barnes & Noble) - Tripod
Back to Top
- "Idealism in 19th Century British and American Literature," in The Impact of Idealism:
- The Legacy of Post-Kantian German Thought, Vol. 3: Aesthetics, Literature, and Literary Theory, eds. Christoph Jamme and Nicholas Boyle (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, forthcoming)
- "To Think Exactly and Courageously": Poetry, Ingeborg Bachmann's Poetics, and her
- Bohemia Poem," in The Philosophy of Poetry, ed. John Gibson (Oxford: Oxford University Press, forthcoming).
- "The Question of Truth in Literature: Die Poetische Auffassung der Welt," in The Ethical Content of Literature, ed. Garry L. Hagberg, forthcoming
- "Dangerous Knowledge: Harrison, Wittgenstein, and the Powers of Literary Art," in Language, Literature, Morality: Studies in the Philosophy of Bernard Harrison, ed.
- Patricia Hanna (Amsterdam: Rodopi, forthcoming).
- "Ästhetische Erfahrung und Bedeutung in Kunstpraxen: Brechts 'Erinnerung an
- die Marie A.'" in Sinnliche Reflexivität. Zur sinnlichen Dimension der Künste,
- eds. Georg Bertram, Daniel Martin Feige, Frank Ruda
- Introduction---Cavell, Literary Studies, and the Human Subject: Consequences of
- Skepticism (with Bernard Rhie), in Stanley Cavell and Literary Studies: Consequences of Skepticism, eds. Richard Eldridge and Bernie Rhie (New York: Continuum, 2011), pp. 1-13.
- "Learning about Life from Lyric: Literature, Ethics, and Emotion," in Wissenformen und Wissensnormen des Zusammenlebens, ed. Ottmar Ette, forthcoming
- "Do Poets (First and Foremost) Have Ideas?" Zeitschrift für Ästhetik und Allgemeine Kunstwissenschaft, Sonderheft über Pragmatische Hermeneutik, ed. Matthias Buschmeier, forthcoming
- "Criticism and the Risk of the Self: Stanley Cavell's Modernism and Elizabeth Bishop's," in Stanley Cavell and Literary Criticism, eds. Andrew Taylor and James Loxley (Manchester: Manchester University Press) forthcoming.
- "Hegel," in Aesthetics: The Key Figures, ed. Alessandro Giovanelli (London: Continuum), forthcoming.
- "The Work of Literary Imagination: Hegel, Rilke, and What Writers Do," The Journal of Literary Theory, forthcoming
- "Substances, Subjects, Emotions, and the Work of Poetry," in On Meaning, ed. José Cipriut (Cambridge, MA MIT Press), forthcoming
- "'Human beings don't know how to use these homes of theirs': Strategies of Poetic Dramatization in The Master Builder,"Ibsen Studies 9, 1 (2009), pp. 76-94.
- "The Situation of the Subject in Modernity: Narrative Rehearsal, Expression, and Goethe's "Wandrers Nachtlied II", in John Gibson and Noel Carroll, eds.
- "Philosophy In/Of/As/And Film," Projections: The Journal for Movies and Mind 3, 1 (Summer 2009), pp. 109-116.
- "Introduction: Philosophy and Literature as Forms of Attention," in The Oxford Handbook of Philosophy and Literature, ed. Richard Eldridge (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009), pp. 3-15.
- "Reflection on Reflection: The Subject in Modernity," in Das neue Licht der Frühromantiker, eds. Bärbel Frischmann and Elizabeth Millán-Zaibert (Paderborn: Ferdinand Schöningh, 2008), pp. 65-70.
- "Poetic Closure, Romanticism, and Hölderlin's Solution," Prism(s): Essays in Romanticism15 (2007), pp. 147-63.
- "Das Ende der Erzählung," trans. Alex Burri and Wolfgang Huemer, in Kunst denken, eds. Wolfgang Huemer and Alex Burri (Paderborn: Mentis, 2007), pp. 1-16.
- "Dewey's Aesthetics," in The Cambridge Companion to Dewey, ed. Molly Cochrane, forthcoming.
- "Truth in Poetry: Particulars and Universals," in The Blackwell Companion to the Philosophy of Literature, eds. Garry Hagberg and Walter Jost, (Oxford: Blackwell, 2010), pp. 385-98.
- "Modernity and the Human Subject," Zeitschrift für Aesthetik und Allgemeine Kunstwissenschaft 53, 1 (2008), pp. 49-59.
- "Hegel on Music," in Hegel and the Arts, ed. Stephen Houlgate (Evanston, IL: Northwestern University Press, 2007), pp. 119-45.
- "'To Bear the Momentarily Incomplete': Subject Development and Expression in Hegel and Holderlin," Graduate Faculty Philosophy Journal: Special Issue on Expressivism, 27, 2 (2006), pp. 141-58.
- "History vs. (Epistemological) Theory," History and Theory 45 (October 2006), pp. 448-54.
- "Finding/Founding Conviction: 'Forward: An Audience for Philosophy' and Aesthetic Problems of Modern Philosophy'" (in Spanish) in Encuentros Con Cavell, ed. David Perez Chico (in Encuentros Con Cavell, eds. David Pérez Chico y Moisés Barroso (Plaza y Valdees: San Rafael, Mexico: 2009), pp. 151-64.
- "Wordsworth and the Life of a Subject," in The Meaning of Life in Romantic Poetry and Poetics, ed. Ross Wilson (London: Routledge), (London: Routledge, 2009), pp. 57-80.
- "From Epistemology to Aesthetics," in German Idealism and Contemporary Philosophy,ed. Espen Hammer (London: Routledge, 2007), pp. 267-87.
- "Hegel, Schiller, and Holderlin on Art and Life," International Yearbook of German Idealism, 4 (2006), pp. 152-78.
- "Hidden Secrets of the Self": E. T. A. Hoffman's Reading of Don Giovanni in The Don Giovanni Moment, eds. Lydia Goehr and Daniel Herwitz (New York: Columbia University Press, 2006), pp. 33-46.
- "Literature as Material Figuration: Benjamin, Sebald, and Human Life in Time", Acta Philosophica Fennica 79 (2006), Visions of Value and Truth: Understanding Philosophy and Literature,, ed. Floora Ruokonen (Helsinki: Finnish Academy of Sciences, 2006), pp. 13-29.
- "Holderlin, Johann Christian Friedrich", The Encyclopedia of Philosophy, 2d. ed. (Detroit: Macmillan Reference, 2006), Vol. 4, pp. 433-36.
- "Wittgenstein on Aspect-seeing, the Nature of Discursive Consciousness, and the Experience of Agency," in Seeing Wittgenstein Anew: new Essays on Aspect-Seeing,eds. William Day and Victor Krebs (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press), forthcoming
- "Rotating the Axis of our Investigation: Wittgenstein's Investigations and Holderlin's Poetology," in The Literary Wittgenstein, eds. John Gibson and Wolfgang Humer, (London: Routledge, 2004), pp. 211-27. German translation "Unsere Betrachtung musst gedreht werden. Wittgenstein's Untersuchungen und Hölderlin's Poetologie," in Witttgenstein und die Literatur, eds. John Gibson and Wolfgang Huemer (Frankfurt a. M.: Suhrkampf, 2006), pp. 309-332.
- "Reading For and Against the Plot: On Nussbaum's Integration of Literature and Moral Philosophy," in One World: Essays on Martha Nussbaum on Literature and Philosophy, ed. Leonard Ferry, forthcoming
- "Hidden Secrets of the Self": E. T. A. Hoffmanís Reading of Don Giovanni in The Legacy of Don Giovanni, eds. Lydia Goehr and Daniel Herwitz, forthcoming
- "Wittgenstein and the Conversation of Justice", in The Grammar of Politics: Wittgenstein and Political Philosophy, ed. Cressida Hayes, (Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 2003), pp. 117-28.
- "Romantic Subjectivity in Goethe and Wittgenstein," in Philosophical Romanticism, ed. Nikolas Kompridis, London: Routledge, 2006, pp 97-112.
Back to Top
- The Ancient Quarrel between Philosophy and Poetry, by Raymond Barfield, Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews
- The Cultural Spaces of the Arts and the Infelicitites of Reductionism by Joseph Margolis, The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, 69, 2 (Spring 2011), pp. 240-42.
- Pragmatism and Social Hope: Deepening Democracy in Global Contexts by Judith M. Green, Teachers College Record, Date Published: June 29, 2009 http://www.tcrecord.org ID Number: 15701
- Art and Ethical Criticism, ed. Garry L. Hagberg, Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, http://ndpr.nd.edu/review.cfm?id=15065
- "Work on Oneself": Wittgenstein's Philosophical Psychology by Fergus Kerr, The Review of Metaphysics
- Why Photography Matters as Art as Never Before by Michael Fried, The National [Abu Dhabi]: The Review, March 27, 2009, p. 8.
- The House of Wittgenstein: A Family at War by Alexander Waugh, The National [Abu Dhabi]: The Review: October 30, 2008.
- The Self in Moral Space: Life Narrative and the Good by David Parker, Comparative Literature, 61, 4 (Fall 2009), pp. 449-451.
- Wittgenstein and the Moral Life: Essays in Honor of Cora Diamond, ed. Alice Crary, Ethics118 (April 2008), pp. 543-49.
- Double Vision: Moral Philosophy and Shakespearean Drama by Tzachi Zamir, Iyyun: The Jerusalem Philosophical Quarterly, Vol. 57 (January 2008), pp. 95-101.
- Reasons's Grief: An Essay on Tragedy and Value by George W. Harris, Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, http://ndpr.nd.edu/review.cfm?id=8504
- Idealism Without Absolutes, eds. Tilottama Rajan and Arkady Plotnitsky, European Romantic Reviews, 17, 4 (October 2006), pp. 511-20
- Contending with Stanley Cavell, ed. Russell Goodman, Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, Read Review
- Enlightenment Against Empire, by Sankar Muthu and Metaromanticism: Aesthetics, Literature, Theory by Paul Hamilton, European Romantic Review, 16, 3 (July 2005), pp. 390-95.
- Classical and Romantic German Aesthetics, ed. J.M. Bernstein, Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews Read Review
- Reverence: Renewing a Forgotton Virtue, by Paul Woodruff, Ethics, Ethics, 114, 2 (January 2004), pp. 385-88.
- Authority and Estrangement: An Essay on Self-Knowledge, by Richard Moran,Philosophical Investigations, 26, 4 (October 2003), pp. 360-68.
- The Elusiveness of the Ordinary: Studies in the Possibility of Philosophy, by Stanley Rosen, Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, Read Review (Refereed online review journal)
Back to Top
- Tagung: Wissensformen und Wissensnormen des Zusammenlebens: Literatur, Kultur, Geschichte, Gesellschaft, FRIAS (2010)
- European Society for Aesthetics (Udine, Italy, 2010)
- Stanley Cavell and Literary Criticism (Edinburgh, 2008)
- 11th International French-German Philosophy Colloquium, Evian, France, 2005
- North American Society for the Study of Romanticism (New York, 2003)
- The American Society for Aesthetics (Miami, 2002)
- The American Society for Aesthetics (Minneapolis, 2001)
- American Conference on Romanticism (2001, Miami, OH)
- Pragmatism and Semantics 2000, Prague, Czech Republic, June 2000
Back to Top
Invited Papers and Comments
- University of North Carolina, Conference on Bernard Williams on Tragedy, (2012)
- University of Washington, Seattle (2012)
- Lüneberg University, Germany (2011)
- Montreal Reflections on Art and Aesthetics Workshop, 2011
- Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Conference on Book IX of Paradise Lost (December 2011)
- Eastern Division, The American Society for Aesthetics, Philadelphia (2011)
- University of Notre Dame, Nanovic Institute (2011)
- Middlebury College (2011)
- GPPC Community Lecture Series, "The Uses of Literature" (2011)
- Swarthmore College Faculty Lecture Series (2011)
- Bryn Mawr Film Institute/GPPC Film Series (2011)
- American Philosophical Association, Invited Symposium on Hegel's Aesthetics, San Diego, 2011
- Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Center for Literary Studies, January 2011
- The American Society for Aesthetics (Victoria, BC, 2010)
- Stanley Cavell and Literary Studies (Cambridge, MA, 2010)
- Bard Music Festival, 2010 (Alban Berg)
- American Philosophical Association, Invited Symposium on Truth in Literature and Philosophy, Boston, 2010
- Leibniz Kolleg, Tübingen, 2010
- Tagung: Reflexivität in den Künsten. Zum Selbst- und Fremdbezug des (Sinnlichen in ästhetischen Medien, Freie Universität Berlin, 2010)
- FRIAS Literature Colloquium, 2010
- FRIAS Literature Section Reading Group on Literature and Science, 2010
- University of Parma, Workshop on Art, Ethics, and Cognition, 2010
- British Wittgenstein Society (plenary), "Wittgenstein and Aesthetics," 2010
- North American Kant Society (Chicago, 2010)
- University of Vermont (English Department) 2009
- Boston University, Institute for Philosophy and Religion, 2009
- Universität Bielefeld, Pragmatic Hermeneutics, Conference, 2009
- American Society for Aesthetics, Northhampton, MA (2008), Book Session onLiterature, Life, and Modernity, (Reply to comments by Robert Pippin and David Wellbery)
- Temple University, Center for the Study of the Humanities, Ibsen Conference, 2008
- Freiburg Research Institute in Advanced Studies (FRIAS), University of Freiburg, 2008
- Finnish Academy of Sciences and Letters, Helsinki, 2008
- Temple University, Conference on Imagination, 2008
- American Philosophical Association/ Society for the Philosophical, Study of the Visual Arts, Chicago, 2008
- The University of Chicago (History and Forms of Lyric Group) 2008
- University of Trondheim (Norway), 2007
- University of Warwick (England); Conference on Philosophy and Poetry, 2007
- University of East Anglia (England), 2007
- University of South Florida, 2007
- Bremen International Tagung on Recent Work on Romanticism, July 2007
- University of Trondheim, Norway, May 2007
- Boston University Conference on Tragedy and German Philosophy, March 2007
- American Society for Aesthetics, Milwaukee (2006)
- Greater Philadelphia Philosophy Consortium, Conference on Fiction and Emotion, October 2006
- German Society for Aesthetics, Hannover Plenary Address, 2005
- Conferencce: Art and Cognition, Universitat Erfurt, 2005
- Notre Dame University, Opening of de Bartlo Performing Arts Center, 2005
- Forum Kulturwissenschaften, Universitat Erfurt, 2005
- Philosophy Department, Universitat Erfurt, 2005
- American Philosophical Association, Eastern Division, Boston (2004)
- SUNY-Purchase (2004)
- University of Aberdeen (Scotland), 2004
- Philosophical Society of Finland, Seminar on Philosophy and Literature. University of Helsinki, (2004)
- Columbia University, Faculty Seminar on Romanticism (Inaugural Presentation), (2004)
- Temple University, Society of Fellows in the Humanities, Graduate Associates (2004)
- Drexel University (2004)
- 29th Annual Conference on Literature and Film, Florida State University (2004)
Back to Top
- American Philosophical Association
- American Society for AestheticsBritish Society for Aesthetics
- Coleridge-Wordsworth Association
- International Conference on Romanticism
- North American Society for the Study of Romanticism
- Holderlin Gsellschaft
Back to Top
Recent Professional Activities
- External Departmental Review, Comparative Humanities Program, Bucknell University, September 2011
- NEH Fellowships Panelist, July 2011
- Research Fellowship Review, Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences (2011)
- Research Fellowship Review, Research Foundation of Flanders (2011)
- External Dissertation Advisor, Jason Miller, University of Notre Dame, 2011
- Conference Co-Organizer, Stanley Cavell and Literary Studies, Cambridge, MA, October 2010
- Research Funding Proposal Review, State of Israel, 2010
- American Society for Aesthetics, Monograph Prize Committee, 2010
- External Dissertation Examiner, Adam Gonya, University of Leuven Peer Reviewer, Government of Ireland Postdoctoral Fellowships in the Humanities and Social Sciences
- Editorial Board, New Directions in German Studies, Continuum Publishing Group
- Fellowship Proposal Reviewer, DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service), 2009)
- Program Committee, American Society for Aesthetics (Denver, 2009)
- External Departmental Review [chair], Rhodes College (2009)
- External Reviewer, philosophy departments of the universities of the State of Israel, 2009
- External Project Reviewer, Finnish Academy of Arts and Sciences, (July 2008)
- External Departmental Review, University of Richmond, Feb. 2008
- Advisory Board, The Nordic Journal of Aesthetics
- External Dissertation Examiner (First Opponent), Dagfinn Dybvig, University of Trondheim (Norway), August 2007
- Chair, Greater Philosophy Philosophy Consortium, 2007-08, 2008-09
- External Departmental Review, Muhlenberg College, April 2007
- External Departmental Review, Washington and Lee University, October 2007
- External Dissertation Examiner, Brian Soucek, Columbia University, 2005
- Adivisory Board, International Conference on Romanticism (2005-08)
- NEH External Project Reviewer (2004)
- Board Member, GPPC, 1997-present
- Advisory Committee on Aesthetics to the APA Eastern Division Program committee 2003-06
- Editorial Board, Prisms (Journal of the American Conf. on Romanticism)
- Visiting Committee, Philosophy Department, Middlebury College April 2000
- Proposal Reviewer, Stanford Humanities Center, 1994-present
- External Promotion and Tenure Referee: Boston University [English] (2009), University of Oregon [German] (2009), Hebrew University of Jerusalem [English],(2008), University of North Carolina Charlotte (2007), Notre Dame University (2005), University of Essex (2004), Barnard College (2004), Catholic University of America (2004), The New School for Social Research (2003), Colgate University (2002), Lehigh University (2001), Reed College (2001), Wesleyan University (2001), Bowling Green State University (2000),
- Referee: The University of Chicago Press, Harvard University Press, Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press, University of Michigan Press, Cornell University Press, SUNY Press, Temple University Press, The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, Journal of the History of Philosophy, Arion, Philosophy and Literature, Westview Press,Mosaic, Ethics, Journal of the American Musicological Society, Hypatia
Back to Top
- Chair, Interdisciplinary Programs, 2011-12
- Curriculum Committee, 2011-12
- Advisory Council to the Dean of Admissions, 2011-12
- Library Committee, 2011-12
- Chair: Interpretation Theory, 2008-09, 2011-12
- Research Ethics, 2005-06; Chair, 2006-07
- Social Responsibility Committee of the Board of Mangers, Fall 2004, 2005-06
- Committee on Promotion and Tenure, 1996-7, 1997-8, 2002-03, 2003-04
- Cognitive Science Committee 2003-04, Fall 2004, 2005-06
- Faculty-Staff Benefits Committee, 2000-01
- Phi Beta Kappa Committee, 1984, 1989, 1996, 1997-8, 1999-2001 (Vice-President), Secretary/Treasurer 2002-03, President 2003-04
- Judiciary Committee (alternate) 1999-2000
- German Studies Committee, 1994-5, 1995-6, 1996-7, 1997-8, 1998-9, 1999- 2000, 2000-01. 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, Fall 2004, 2005-06
- Linguistics Committee, 1994-5, 1995-6, 1996-7, 1997-8, 1998-9, 1999- 2000, 2000-01
- Interpretation Theory Committee, 2005-06, Fall 2004, 2000-03, 1995-6. 1994-5, 1992-3 (Chair)
Back to Top