The Parents Council comprises parents who demonstrate their commitment to Swarthmore through their philanthropic leadership and active engagement in the life of the College. All Council activities support the College’s mission to prepare students for full, balanced lives as individuals and as socially responsible citizens through rigorous intellectual study supplemented by athletics, co-curricular, and extracurricular activities.
Parents Council members support The Swarthmore Fund with an annual 1864 Society gift. The Swarthmore Fund provides program-enhancing current support for the curriculum, community service initiatives, arts, athletics, the libraries, and other aspects of student life and study. Members are also asked to support, when possible, the College’s key strategic funding initiatives, one of which is usually undertaken each year as a special priority of the Parents Council.
Parents Council members serve as a resource for all Swarthmore families to enhance the parent experience and promote meaningful connection with the College. Members also provide the administration with timely and insightful feedback from the parent point of view.
The President of the College extends an invitation to members of the parent community to serve on Parents Council. Council members are encouraged to serve during the period of their child’s enrollment at Swarthmore.
The Council meets on campus twice during the academic year—once in the fall to coincide with Garnet Homecoming and Family Weekend, and again in the spring, usually in April. Members receive periodic email updates throughout the year. The Council is led by a chair or co-chairs and is supported by a member of the College staff.
Council members have three primary areas of responsibility:
- To demonstrate philanthropic leadership by supporting The Swarthmore Fund and the College’s fundraising initiatives with leadership-level commitments. Members are asked to join The 1864 Society, Swarthmore’s leadership giving society by making an annual contribution at one of the following levels:
- Lucretia Mott Associates
- Rachel Jackson Associates
- Samuel Willets Associates
- Martha Tyson Associates
- Benjamin Hallowell Associates
- Deborah Wharton Associates
- Learn more about The 1864 Society levels of giving.
- To greet new Swarthmore families through welcome phone calls and by hosting or attending regional Send-Off events for incoming students and parents.
- To attend at least one of the two Parents Council meetings held on campus each year.
Members of Parents Council and The 1864 Society enjoy the following benefits as an expression of the College’s gratitude for their support and service:
- Invitations to special events with the President, Board of Managers, and other College leaders throughout the year
- Direct access to the staff member responsible for administrative and programmatic support of Parents Council
- Regular and early notification of select campus announcements and communications from the College
2016–17 Academic Year
Parents Council Co-Chairs are Andy and Susan Langan, parents of Drew ’17. Ali Craig, senior associate director of Alumni & Parent Engagement, provides administrative and programmatic support of Parents Council.
Please feel free to contact Ali with any questions about Parents Council via email, email@example.com, or phone, 610-957-6220.