F-1 Post-Completion OPT: Reporting Requirements
Students in F-1 status authorized for employment under OPT are responsible for maintaining their nonimmigrant status. According to Federal Regulations, F-1 students are required to report information directly to Jennifer Marks-Gold or Reshma Ajayan regarding their employment as well as changes to personal information and immigration status. Failure to comply with these reporting requirements may result in denial of future benefits (i.e. extension of employment under the H-1B OPT Cap-Gap rule and STEM OPT program) and termination of status and OPT authorization.
You are required to report the following information:
- Issuance of EAD card (must submit a copy as soon as the card arrives)
- Change of legal name or citizenship
- Change of current residential address. If mailing address is different than residential address, then the student must report both addresses. Report this within 10 days of the change.
- Change of US telephone number
- Change of primary and alternate email addresses
- Beginning and end date of all employment
- Name of the employer(s) and mailing address
- Type of employment - whether the job is self-employment as business owner, contractual/work for hire, multiple gigs, or volunteer in your field of study
- Number of hours you work, full time (at least 20+ hours per week) or part time (20 hours or less per week)
- Unemployment longer than 10 days (report date of last job)
- Decision to end employment/OPT and leave the U.S.A.
- Transfer and/or beginning of new program of study
- Change of visa status (provide documentation of change of status)