Diversity Peer Advisors
About the DPA Program
The Diversity Peer Advisor Program at Swarthmore College was originally proposed by a small group of students asking that there be structure avenues for dialogue on issues of power, privilege, and oppression. Modeled after similar programs at Bryn Mawr College and the University of Michigan, the program officially launched in Fall 2015 with eight peer advisors across three residence halls. In the 2016 -2017 academic year, the DPA program expanded to 14 advisors serving in nine residence halls. DPAs strive to cultivate student dialogue, student group diversity connections, and campus cultural center collaborations through the overall residential system.
Diversity Peer Advisors are student leaders who contribute to the goal of an inclusive campus community by educating about and promoting awareness of diversity and social justice.
Goals of the Program
- Serve as a resource for students who are targeted and/or marginalized on the basis of identity and social memberships.
- Expand the notion of what it means to be diverse and inclusive.
- Promote multipartiality to interrupt the dominant narratives.
- Educate the campus community, disrupt the culture and enhance the climate around power and privilege.
- Build intergroup dialogue skill-sets.
About the DPA Student Leaders
DPAs are selected sophomores, juniors, and seniors who serve in the residence halls as diversity peer advisors. DPAs are offer programming, guidance, and support around topics of diversity, inclusion, and social justice.
2017 Spring Semester DPA's
- Guillermo Barreto Corona - email@example.com
- Tessa Chambers- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nikhil Chopra - email@example.com
- Pavan Kalidindi - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lydia Koku - email@example.com
- Tiauna Lewis - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Julius Miller - email@example.com
- Tiyé Pulley - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kwate Quartey - email@example.com
- Jimmy Shah - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jay Smack - email@example.com
- Maggie Zoz - firstname.lastname@example.org