Home | Primary Sources | Project Information | History of Conscientious Objection | Stories & Accounts of C.O.s | Other Resources | Contact Page
Swarthmore College Peace Collection
- List of manuscript collections re: conscientious objection/objectors (by individual and organization name)
- Subject file [see especially Civilian Public Service, and Conscientious Objection/Objectors]
- CPS camp periodicals database
- WWI C.O.s database
- "Expressions of Quaker Conscientious Objection"
- On-line catalog
Oral History Institute, Bethel College
Over 800 taped interviews are available on such subjects as war, peace and conscientious objection; World War I; World War II; and, the Vietnam War and the Gulf War; etc. These are maintained by the Mennonite Library and Archives at Bethel College. Click here to search the college's on-line catalog [all the interviews are catalogued here]
Pacifism cartoon by Nofziger, n.d.
The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley
- Free Speech Movement Digital Archive
The Plowshares: A Peace Studies Collaborative Between Earlham, Goshen & Manchester Colleges
Includes hundreds of items on conscientious objection from the 18th century through the 20th century
- Digital Archives for Peace Studies
"The Good War and Those Who Refused to Fight It"
Web site for the PBS documentary
E-book by C.O. Robert W. Norris
- review "Perseverance Pays Off for Conscientious Objector Author"
- book Looking for the Summer
The Molokan C.O. and the Molokan Library Web Site
Features the history of Molokan C.O.s, including the "Diary of Elder John K. Berekoff: World War 2 Excerpts," as well as links to online books for further reading. See http://themolokanco.info/Home_Page.html
Periodicals, audio-visuals & photographs re: conscientious objection
Contact the Swarthmore College Peace Collection; North Newton Archives, Mennonite Church USA; and Goshen Archives, Mennonite Church USA for what are probably the largest holdings available [see contact list].
See also Feb. 2008 issue [http://www.CONewsletterOpenOffice.pdf] of "peace and justice news" with a focus on conscientious objection from a Mennonite perspective
Sources for information about conscientious objection today
Center on Conscience and War
Central Committee for Conscientious Objectors
Committee Opposed to Militarism and the Draft
Sources for information about British C.O.s
- Peace Pledge Union
- National Archives of Great Britain
- Library of the Religious Society of Friends in Britain