Interlibrary Loan Policies for Outside Libraries
Libraries & Collections at Swarthmore
The Swarthmore College Library consists of McCabe Library, Cornell Science Library, and Underhill Music Library. In addition, we process requests for the Peace Collection; please contact them at 610.328.8557 for more information. Please note that the Friends' Historical Library generally does not loan its materials; please contact them at 610.328.8496 for more information. Materials in the Beit Midrash collection do not circulate.
Swarthmore participates in OCLC WCRS (symbol PSC) and RapidILL.
We also accept ALA forms sent via mail (ILL Department, McCabe Library, Swarthmore College, 500 College Ave., Swarthmore, PA 19081), fax (610.690.5782), or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Average turnaround time is 2-5 working days, not including shipping time. We use UPS/IDS for member libraries. For non-members we ship most books via Library Mail, and all media (CDs, DVDs, LPs, VHS, Microforms) via First Class.
- Normal loan: Our normal loan period for books is 60 days, with one 30-day renewal available for most items.
- Videos and DVDs: Videos lend for 35 days. Videos should be boxed for return; failure to do so will mean loss of future borrowing privileges. Some videos require replacement cost insurance and return via FedEx or UPS.
- Microforms: Microforms lend for 35 days. We will lend up to six reels at a time per request. We generally do not provide copies from microforms, but will do so in special circumstances.
- CDs and LPs: CDs and LPs lend for 35 days. These items must be returned in a box; failure to do so will mean loss of future borrowing privileges. Some CDs and LPs require replacement cost insurance and return via FedEx or UPS.
- Journals: We do not lend unbound journal issues. Bound volumes may be loaned during the summer months, for a maximum of two weeks.
- Peace Collection materials: Please contact the Peace Collection directly for information. They will supply microfilm as well as photocopies of newspapers, journals, pamphlets, etc.
- Multiple copies: We will only copy one article/chapter per request. Multiple articles/chapters require multiple requests.
- Multiple volumes: We will lend up to five volumes per request for multi-volume loan requests.
Charges & Fees
- LVIS Libraries: We are a member of LVIS.
- Free suppliers: We reciprocate to free suppliers.
- SHARES libraries: We are a member of SHARES.
- Oberlin Group libraries: We are members of the Oberlin Group.
- E-ZBorrow members: We are members of E-ZBorrow, and do not charge members for non-E-ZBorrow requests unless you charge us.
- Rapid libraries: We belong to the Cosmo, Oberlin, and PALCI pods.
- Fees for non-reciprocal academic and public libraries: $15 per loan or copy.
- Fees for corporate libraries: $25 per loan or copy.
We prefer to bill via IFM; we will invoice.
Loans to Non-U.S. Libraries
We will provide copies and loans, as possible, to non-U.S. libraries. Fees depend on the borrowing library's status. In most cases, we charge at least the cost of postage. All items are shipped via United States Postal Service, air mail.
Contact the Interlibrary Loan Office
Mailing Address: ILL Department, McCabe Library, Swarthmore College, 500 College Ave., Swarthmore, PA 19081
Phone: 610.328.7822 or 610.328.8491