How to Obtain a PA Child Abuse Clearance
This is a two-step process that takes 3 to 8 weeks.
First, obtain a Pennsylvania criminal background check.
- The online application is at: http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=512&objlD=4451&PageID=458621&mode=2
- If you are reading this in print, copy the following address into your Web browser: https://epatch.state/pa.us/Home.jsp
- The cost is $10 and you can pay by credit card.
- You may also submit a paper application by printing out the form from the website above and submit it with a $10 money order.
- You will receive this clearance in one to three weeks by mail or within a few days online.
Second, attach a print copy of your criminal background check to your application for a child abuse clearance.
- The child abuse clearance application is at the following web address:
- The child abuse application cannot be filled out on line. You must print it out and mail it.
- Check Volunteer in the box that asks for the purpose of the clearance.
- You must list everyone you have lived with since 1975. Be sure to include parents, roommates, former spouses, grandchildren, stepchildren, and foster children.
- Remember to sign the form.
- Send a $10 money order with the application. Checks and credit cards are not accepted.
You will receive this clearance in about two to four weeks.