Paid Summer Internships


The deadline for the application is almost here, but I have not received a letter of support from my host organization/s. Can I still apply?

In the case of the Summer Social Action Award (S2A2) and Chester Community Fellowship (CCF) awards, yes! Apply as if you received your top choice of internship. Once selected, award recipients will be asked to provide the letter of confirmation from their organizational host before April 15. Those selected students who do not have confirmed host sites will work with Jennifer Magee (jmagee1) to secure an appropriate host.

Where can I find the Faculty Recommendation Form?

The "Faculty Recommendation for Summer Experiences” form is here and on the home page in the “Forms and Releases" section. 

Can I work in a for-profit organization?

When the for-profit organization has a social mission, the answer is yes, absolutely. On rare occasions, a student must learn a skill that is only available through an experience with a for-profit business, in order to pursue an activity or product that will serve to address an issue of social justice. Students can explore these options with Jennifer Magee (jmagee1).

Can I work in a law office? 

Yes, provided that it is a law office that is advocating on issues of social concern, i.e. a D.A.’s office, an immigration law office, offices specializing in juvenile law, domestic violence, environmental law, and so on.

Can I apply to multiple grants within the college for a single summer?

Yes, but the college has a $4,350 summer limit for support -- In other words, no double dipping! Apply for everything that interests you, and if offered more than one opportunity, please send a note to the administrator/s of the other offers ceding these other awards.

Is there a limit to how many internship grants I can receive from the Lang Center during my time at Swarthmore College?

A student may receive one summer experience grant at the college maximum ($4,350)  from the Lang Center (S2A2 or CCF), and any number of SIS or pilot project grants, though eligibility for a second SIS grant will receive lower priority than for first-time applicants.

If I'll get paid a stipend by my internship host site, can I also receive an internship grant from the Lang Center?

This depends upon how much of a stipend the student would be receiving, and the cost of living in the area where the internship experience is located. Generally, S2A2 recipients should not need a stipend from the host, but in very expensive coastal US cities (New York, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., San Francisco), our grant may not be sufficient to cover the student’s housing, food, commute, travel, and financial aid requirements. We consider this on a case-by-case basis. SIS applicants must reveal their stipend when they present their budget on their applications. In the case of SIS, a stipend is often a necessity.

What does the grant money cover? Can I include airfare or other non-local transportation in my budget? 

S2A2 and CCF grants are intended to cover the student’s housing, food, consumer disposables, and commuting costs, plus an offset of $2500 to cover students who have financial aid obligations. A student may use the funds to cover the cost of travel, provided the student is not going “home.”

If I am a Chester Fellow, where would I live? What would the cost be to live on campus for the summer?

Most Chester Fellows live in a dorm, while on occasion one or two Chester Fellows will prefer to house-sit for a local faculty member or sublet an apartment in the ‘Ville. Those who have lived in the dorm have mentioned that the proximity to other Fellows is a very positive experience, allowing the conversations and reflections to carry on into the evening. 

If I intern in Philadelphia, is possible/advisable for me to live on campus?

That depends on where in Philadelphia you will serve, and whether you have connections to other students who will live in Philadelphia. Dorm housing will be less expensive than a sublet, even when factoring in the commuting costs (See:, transportation passes, to determine the monthly rate for a train pass). Some sites in Philadelphia are difficult to reach by public transportation, and for those locations, it may be advantageous to seek a summer sublet in the City, particularly if you know others who might be able to share the expense (and adventure) with you.