Printing for Students
Printers are available in public computing areas and in the dorms for student use. There is no charge for printing but we ask students to refrain from printing multiple copies or wasting paper. Large print jobs for student organizations should be referred to Office Services.
Connecting to a Public Printer from Windows
- Click your Start button
- Select Search (Windows 7, 10). In Windows 8, select Search from the Charms Bar.
- Type in \\restech and press Enter. If prompted for credentials, enter GARNET\username in the username field, and your password. (Note** may need to type the complete address if print jobs fail to complete: \\restech.garnet.swarthmore.edu)
- Find the printer you're looking for.
- Double-click on the printer (it will install automatically and be available from your Printers control panel)
|Printer Name (and Driver Type)||Printer Name (and Driver Type)||Printer Name (and Driver Type)|
|Alice_Paul (HP 4250)||BCC (HP 4250)||Cornell_Public (Canon iR-ADV 8585/8595 PS)|
|Dana (HP 4250)||Danawell (HP P3015)||Hallowell (HP 4250)|
|Kemp (HP 4250)||MaryLyons (HP P3015)|
|McCabe_ERR (HP 4250)||McCabe_Public (Canon iR-ADV 8585/8595 PS)||Mertz (HP M604)|
|Palmer (HP 4200)||Parrish (HP 4515)||Roberts (HP 4250)|
|Shane (HP 4515)||Underhill (Canon iR-ADV 4225/4235 PS)|
|Wharton (HP M604)||Willets (HP P4014n)||Woolman (HP 4250)|
Connecting to a Public Printer from Mac OS X
- If installing the Canon printer in McCabe, Cornell, or Underhill, first download and install the Mac Printer Drivers. Unzip and run the Canon_PS_Installer.pkg installer. This installer may warn that it cannot open because it is from an unidentified publisher. You can launch the installer by control-clicking on the file and choosing "open". Download Mac Printer Drivers
- Open System Preferences, select Print & Scan, and click the lock in the lower left corner to make changes.
- Select the +(plus sign) to add a printer
- Click the IP tab
- In the Address field, type restech (Note** may need to type complete address if print jobs fail to complete: restech.garnet.swarthmore.edu)
- Make sure the Protocol is set to "Line Printer Daemon - LPD"
- In the Queue field, enter the name of your printer: (Names are one word or separated with an underscore - don't include the driver type here)
- Under Print Using, select the option for Select Printer Software.... Search for and select the correct driver. HP drivers are built into the OS (Choose HP Laserjet PCL 4/5), the Canon drivers need to be downloaded and installed from the links above. The installer may warn you that it can't open because it is from an unidentified publisher. You can launch the installer by control-clicking on the file and choosing "open".
- Click Add.
After you click Add, the Printer list window will reappear with the selected printer added to the list of printers.
Connecting to a Printer from a Linux system
Swarthmore ITS does not currently support printing from Linux.