Preparing For Graduation
Swarthmore network accounts for the graduating class are deleted on June 15th every year.
What do I need to do prior to June 15th?
Back Up Files on Swarthmore Servers:
- Transfer or save all files in your userfolder on the \\Students server to another location. We suggest copying them to a personal computer or storage device.
- Transfer or save all files you may want to keep from Swatfiles http://swatfiles.swarthmore.edu to another location.
- Transfer or save all files you may want from your Swarthmore Google Docs http://apps.swarthmore.edu to another location.
- Student files on the video editing workstations in Beardsley will also be deleted. Please save a copy to a personal storage device or DVD.
- Blackboard and Moodle accounts will be deleted. All posts, discussion board posts and attachments you added to Blackboard will be permanently deleted from Blackboard courses and organizations. If you wish to save any materials on Blackboard please copy them to a personal storage device.
- Your access to the MySwarthmore account, using your student identification number, will not expire. However, you should update your security question and answer, so that you can return to MySwarthmore and set up a new PIN at any time in the future.
Migrating your Email:
- Obtain another email account. If you do not have another email address already, you can obtain a free account with Gmail.
- In addition, we suggest setting up a permanent Swarthmore Alumni alias account which provides an easy way to distribute your email address as your future addresses change. For more information, visit the Alumni website. http://olc.swarthmore.edu
- Notify people about your new email address before your Swarthmore email account is disabled. To make the transition easier, you have a few options in Swatmail. http://swatmail.swarthmore.edu You can set up an auto-reply (vacation message) that includes information about your new email address. You can also set up mail forwarding to your new email account for the next few weeks.
- How do I set up an Automatic Reply (Away) Message?
Click the Preferences tab in the Swatmail toolbar. Click on the Mail tab. Under "Receiving Messages" there is a check box for "Send auto-reply message". When you check the box you are presented with a text box to write your message as well as two calendar fields to select the start and end dates for your message to be sent. If you do not select a start date your auto-reply message will begin immediately. If you do not select an end date your auto reply-message will continue indefinitely. Click Save at the top of screen to confirm your changes.
- How do I set up automatic email forwarding?
Click the Preferences tab in the Swatmail toolbar. Click on the Mail tab. Find the Receiving Messages section. In the "When a message arrives" area, type the email address you want mail forwarded to in the text box below the "Forward a copy to:" label. Click Save at the top of screen to confirm your changes.
Archiving your Swatmail Inbox
There are two ways to back up your existing Swarthmore email. You can download it to local mailboxes on your computer using a mail client (we recommend Thunderbird, but any client will work), or you can import your Inbox into an existing Gmail account using Mail Fetcher.
To set up Thunderbird and archive your mail to your personal computer:
- Download and install Thunderbird from
- In Thunderbird, open Tools-->Account Settings from the pull-down menu.
- Click Add Mail Account from Account Actions.
- Choose Email account, click Next or Continue.
- Enter Your Name, your Swarthmore Email Address, and your password, click Next or Continue.
- Press the STOP button. Since you want to save your mail locally, you don't want Thunderbird defaults.
- Under Incoming: enter mail.swarthmore.edu and pull down the checkbox to POP. The port should be 995 and SSL/TLS. Under Outgoing: smtp.swarthmore.edu, SMTP, port 25 and STARTTLS.
- Click Create Account.
- Your Swarthmore mail will show up under Local Folders after it is downloaded.
Click Next or Continue.
To set up Mail Fetcher in your Gmail account:
- In Gmail, pull down the "Gear" icon in the top right of the screen and choose Settings.
- Choose Accounts and Import.
- In the Check mail using POP3: section, click "Add POP3 email account".
- Enter your Swarthmore email address, then click Next Step.
- Gmail will populate sample settings, enter your password, and we recommend checking the boxes to "Leave a copy of retrieved message on the server", "Label incoming messages" and "Archive incoming messages (skip the Inbox)" if you are importing a lot of mail. Click Add Account.
- Click No to set up a custom From address.
- Your Swarthmore mail will show up under All Mail after it is imported.
What do I need to think about after leaving campus?
Virus Scan (Windows):
The McAfee Virus Scan software that we require on Windows platforms is only licensed to you while you are a student at Swarthmore College, and you will no longer receive updates after you graduate. You should remove the software after leaving campus. You can do this by going to the Add or Remove Programs option in the control panel.
We highly recommend you install an alternative anti-virus software. There are plenty of good anti-virus programs available for paid subscription, and two free antivirus programs ITS recommends to community members are
Bradford Persistant Agent (Mac and Windows):
This program needed to register on the network in the dorms can also be removed.
- On Windows, it can be removed through Add or Remove Programs option in the control panel.
- Mac users can download the uninstaller here: Mac Bradford Uninstaller