24 Month STEM-OPT Extension Application checklist
Once you receive your OPT I-20 from the International Students Office, SIGN THEM AND MAIL YOUR APPLICATION. USCIS must receive your application within 60 days of the date the I-20 was issued and no later than the end date of your post-completion OPT, with all of the following documents:
- Form G-1145, E-notification of Application/Petition Acceptance
- Two US Passport-Style Photos
- Taken recently
- Lightly print your name on the back of each photo with a pencil.
- I-765 Application fee
- Currently the fee is $410
- Personal check or money order payable to "US Department of Homeland Security". Do not abbreviate.
- Do not use starter checks (those that do not have your name/address printed.
- Original & Completed Form I-765.
- For "I am applying for" select "Renewal of my permissions to accept employment.
- For item #3, make sure the address you list on this form will be accurate for at least 90 days as this is where USCIS will send your Receipt Notice, Approval Notice and EAD. If you will use a reliable friend or family member's address, please make sure to use the C/O notation.
- In item #16 write (c) (3) (C)
- In item #17 include the CIP code and/or your degree as listed on your I-20. Your employer's name and their E-verification identification number.
- Photocopy of the qualifying STEM degree transcript and/or diploma (if it states the major)
- Photocopy of pages 1 and 2 of the new I-20 with the STEM OPT extension recommendation.
- Photocopies of all previous I-20's (pages 1 and 3 or pages 1 and 2).
- I-94 print out or copy of the I-94 card (front and back).
- Photocopy of passport bio page.
- Photocopy of F-1 visa.
- Photocopy of all previous EADs
- Check all documents for completeness and accuracy.
- Be sure to sign forms I-20 and I-765.
- Make a complete copy of your application for your records.
- International Students Office does not maintain copies of OPT applications.
- Keep a copy of your express mail receipt and money order receipt, if applicable.
4. Mail completed application to the USCIS office that has jurisdiction over the address listed on your form I-765 (see below).
USCIS Mailing Address and Instructions:
The USCIS "Dallas Lockbox" filing location is applicable to the following states and territories:
Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, U.S. Virgin Islands, or West Virginia.
US Postal Service Address
P.O BOX: 660867
Dallas, TX. 75266
Express Mail & Courier Service
2501 S. State Highway 121 Business
Lewisville, TX. 75067
If the state you put on form I-765 in item 3 is not in this list, refer to the different mailing instructions for F-1 OPT applications in the I-765 Instructions.