International Student Orientation
*International Student Orientation is required and mandatory for all incoming international students and international exchange and transfer students. While optional, Americans living abroad are welcome to participate in the International Student Orientation.
The International Student Orientation is intended to provide international students with added time and exposure to life at Swarthmore College. This program helps students to adjust not only to Swarthmore , but also to completely different food, weather, and time zone, among other things.
Organized and run by the Advisor for International Students and Scholars and Orientation Leaders (OLs) , this fun-filled program introduces you to Swarthmore’s rich academic, social and cultural resources.
Orientation Goals Include:
- Introduction to immigration regulations/fulfilling immigration-related reporting obligations/ verifying your travel documents/Learning about rights and responsibilities of non-immigrant students
- Opening a bank account
- Shopping for necessary supplies
- General advising and support
- Public safety issues
- Health Education
- Introduction to campus facilities/key areas of support and guidance
- Intercultural adjustments strategies/Culture shock/ Learning about life in the US
- Moving into the residence halls
- Meeting other new students
- Getting familiar with the campus and local community, day trip to Philadelphia.
- Obtaining permission to work on-campus
- Applying for a U.S. social security number