- Dillman, D.A. Mail and Telephone Surveys: The Total Design Method New York : Wiley. (1978).
- Salant, P., & Dillman, D. A. How to conduct your own survey. (1994) New York: Wiley.
- Suskie, L.A. Questionnaire Survey Research: What Works? (1996) Assn for Institutional Research; 2nd edition.
Links to On-Line resources
- Best Practices for Survey and Public Opinion Research from the American Association for Public Opinion Research.
- Survey & Questionnaire Design - a Free online tutorial This is a cute, low-budget offering from StatPac, a survey software company. It's easy to navigate, and not bad at all!
- Tips for Running a Survey on the Web by Jag Patel, of MIT's survey research center. Jag has worked with Swarthmore on a number of surveys, and she knows her stuff!
- Sample question formats
- Sample Size calculator by Rasoft, Inc.
- Sample Size calculator by Creative Research Systems
- The Question Bank - Social Surveys online.
- STATA Tutorial from Princeton University