Devoted, engaged alumni are crucial in maintaining the high quality educational experience that Swarthmore consistently provides. In addition to financial support, there are many ways in which alumni can volunteer their time, skills, and experience to enrich the College, the student body, and the alumni community itself.
Below are listed a few ways in which alumni volunteer their efforts, but we are always looking for innovative methods to contribute to the vitality of the College. If you have new ideas on how to help, please contact the alumni office and share them with us; every contribution is welcome.
- Admissions: Alumni volunteers are a vital part of the Admissions Office's outreach, recruitment, and yield efforts. They interview prospective students, represent Swarthmore at college fairs, and serve as resources for both prospective and admitted students and their families. To register as an Alumni Admissions Volunteer, contact Christine Costello '07, (610) 328-8307.
- Alumni Council: Alumni Council, the governing body of the Alumni Association, participates in a variety of activities to support students, alumni, and the College. If you have questions about the Council, are interested in serving, or wish to nominate a fellow graduate to serve, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, (610) 328-8402.
- Alumni Events: Swarthmore's regional alumni organizations are called "Connections." Connection events range from trips to museums to family picnics in the park. The Alumni Office is always looking for volunteers to help organize and staff Connection events. Contact Geoff Semenuk at (610) 328-8453.
- Class Agents: Class agents serve as the primary Annual Fund fundraisers their class, they provide an important example by giving generously and consistently, assume a leadership role in securing unrestricted annual financial support for Swarthmore, remain informed about the College and communicate effectively and promptly.
- Class Secretaries: The class secretaries dutifully maintain class notes for the Bulletin, Swarthmore's alumni magazine.
- Extern Program: The Swarthmore Extern Program is a five-day job-shadowing program that enables current students to explore a particular field of interest during January. Alumni may volunteer as workplace sponsors or homestay hosts-or both. Contact Laura Sibson in Career Services at email@example.com, (610) 328-8352.
- Mentor a student group: Are you willing to share your expertise and experience with current students? Student organizations are often looking for alumni to participate in panels and other events or to act as an informal mentor to the group or individual members.
- Reunion Planning: Every year, Swarthmore's Alumni Weekend celebrates a phenomenal gathering of class years (every 5th year, sometimes on back to the 75th reunion class, and also the 2nd year class). You can help make your class reunion the best ever by serving on your class reunion planning committee. Volunteers coordinate class activities and encourage classmates to return to campus for that magical first weekend in June. Contact Wendy Waltman at firstname.lastname@example.org, (610) 328-8404
- Scott Arboretum Volunteers: Scott Arboretum volunteers help maintain the gardens and plant collections and assist in providing over 80 horticulture-related, educational programs to the public each year.