On behalf of the entire Swarthmore community, the Annual and Parent Giving Office would like to thank all alumni, parents, and friends who supported the College through the 2011-2012 Annual Fund.
The generosity of alumni, parents, and friends is crucial in assisting with the immediate needs of the College. Your annual gift makes a real difference to all who learn and teach here.
Your Gift Makes a Difference
The Annual Fund is comprised of three funds: the Alumni Fund, the Parents Fund, and the Friends Fund. It includes unrestricted gifts made from July 1 through June 30 — the College's fiscal year. It is the most immediate way that Swarthmore's supporters can contribute to the College.
Dollars raised through the Annual Fund give Swarthmore the flexibility to respond to challenges and meet its greatest needs. Contributions are used to fund financial aid, student services, to purchase new equipment and library books, and to maintain and operate Swarthmore's educational, residential, and athletic facilities.
Tuition and fees alone do not cover the full cost of educating a student at Swarthmore, and the price of maintaining our need-blind admissions policy for every U.S. citizen continues to grow. Tuition and fees cover only about 40% of the real cost of attending Swarthmore. Every student, today as in the past, receives a "hidden scholarship" from gifts and endowment income. The Annual Fund, therefore, provides a living legacy of alumni support.
A Few Reasons to Give to the Annual Fund
- To have a positive effect on need-blind admissions for every U.S. citizen, faculty salaries, and special curriculum developments.
- To ensure that present and future students have the opportunity to receive a uniquely Swarthmore education.
- Participation, at any level, demonstrates the strong commitment alumni have to Swarthmore and its mission. The percentage of alumni participation is sometimes used as a benchmark by outside funders.
- To provide a strong financial base for the College to create a unique educational experience.
- One student, educated in the Swarthmore tradition, can positively affect the lives of thousands.
- Gifts to the Annual Fund are fully tax deductible.