Swarthmore College Archives: Alumni & Alumni Organizations
Individual finding aids, if available, may be accessed by clicking on the heading:
The Swarthmore Alumni Association, founded in 1882 and still active, engages Swarthmore graduates in activities that support current students, alumni, and Swarthmore College. The Swarthmore Alumni Association records, 1882-1990, include meeting minutes, correspondence, publications, brochures, mailings, and directories for a variety of organizations of Swarthmore College Alumni, both in the Philadelphia area and elsewhere.
Call number: RG6/R001
Alumni, Individuals, Papers by and about
Individual alumni files, primarily deceased, arranged alphabetically. Restricted access. Index available in the Library.
Call number: RG6/R002
Collected Papers of Individual Alumni, RG6/R003
Morris Lewis Clothier (1868-1947) was a businessman associated with Strawbridge & Clothier department store and a Swarthmore College alum who remained involved with the college from his graduation in 1890 until his death. The Morris L. Clothier papers on Swarthmore College, 1885-1948, consist of coursework, ephemera, nostalgic memorials, photographs, and other papers relating to Morris L. Clothier's time as a Swarthmore student and his involvement with alumni activities.
Call number: RG6/R003/008
This collection primarily contains records related to the writing and publishing of Alzina Stone Dale's book, When the Postwar World was New. The book was based on her 1952 trip diary of her summer spent in Finland working at an American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) work camp and the letters she wrote home.
Call number: RG6/R003/007
John T. Diebold Papers
John Theurer Diebold (1926-2005) was an early advocate of widespread uses of computing and automated technology. He graduated from Swarthmore College in 1949 and published his first of twelve books, Automation, in 1952. In it, he presented his vision of the use of programmable electronic systems for business. In 1968, he established an operating foundation, The Diebold Institute for Public Policy Studies.
Call number: RG6/R003/002
Gertrude Gilmore Lafore (1905-1993) was an alumna of Swarthmore College and a nursery school teacher based in Moylan, Pa. The bulk of the Gertrude Gilmore Lafore letters received date from 1928 to 1933 and are personal in nature, although there are also letters relating to her education, employment, and finances. There are a few letters from later years, and a couple photographs.
Call number: RG6/R003/011
James A. Michener (1907-1997, Swarthmore College class of 1929) was a bestselling American author of more than four dozen books. His first, Tales of the South Pacific and published when he was 40, won the Pulitzer Prize. The bulk of this collection is clippings about James A. Michener and foreign stamps collected by him.
Call number: RG6/R003/005
James Michener, Class of 1973, attended Swarthmore College after serving in the U.S. Air Force in Asia during the Vietnam War. One of his letters was included in the book Letters from Vietnam (Random House, 2004) by Bill Adler. His experiences in the service drew him back to the region after graduation, where he hoped to become a writer. This collection draws from his writings and correspondence with teacher Kingdon Swayne.
Call number: RG6/R003/006
Representative James H. Scheuer (1920-2005) was a Democratic Congressman from New York, Swarthmore College Class of 1942. The collection documents his long career as a politician and public servant. His early interests in housing and urban planning soon broadened to encompass the diverse needs of his constituents in the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens. Both in the House and in external committee work, Scheuer was actively involved in issues relating to the environment and the quality of life for people throughout the world.
Call number: RG6/R003/001
Gertrude Weaver (d. 1998) graduated from Swarthmore College in 1938 with degrees on German and History, and spent her junior year (1936-1937) in Munich. After graduation, she taught German at Chester High School where she and her students corresponded sent relief packages to families in Western Europe struggling to survive in impoverished post-World War II Europe. This collection contains Weaver's correspondence with the recipients of her aid, as well as records of the logistics of the operation. The majority of the correspondence involves the Bergas family, German refugees living in Montauban, France.
Call number: RG6/R003/004
Phyllis Nelson Yuhas (1922-2006) was an emeritus professor of history and one of the founders of international education at Ball State University, Indiana. She graduated from Swarthmore College in 1944 and received a master's degree from the Harvard Graduate School of Education and Ph.D. from the University of Iowa. The collection contains letters, 1940-1944, from Phyllis Ann Nelson, a student at Swarthmore College, to her family in Iowa. She wrote weekly letters, detailing her daily activities and concerns. Also includes two day books, 1940-1940, and 1943-1944 and snapshots of Phyllis and her classmates, most not identified.
Call number: RG6/R003/003
Contains materials pertinent to each class, such as: class business records (constitution, accounts, meeting minutes); clippings; correspondence with Alumni Office; reunion planning materials; reunion yearbooks; class day materials (programs, speeches); commencement materials (press releases, information about honorary degree recipients, commencement speaker speeches/remarks); and more.
Call number: RG6/R004
Collection of correspondence and memorabilia relating to the students at Swarthmore College between 1942 and 1946. Includes material on the class of Chinese Naval officers and the Navy's V-12 unit.
Call number: RG6/R005
Alumni Records Office and surveys of alumni conducted by the College. Arthur Beardsley's 1894 survey of alumni was used as the basis for the Alumni Historical Catalogue, 1873-1892. A survey conducted by an alumni group, The Garnet Band, was used to gain support for the resumption of Swarthmore-Haverford football and the weekly publication of the Phoenix. After World War I, the Dean's Office conducted a survey of the military experiences of male students. Collection also contains procedures documents and computing instructions for the Alumni Records Office in the 1970s.
Call number: RG6/R006
Swarthmore College Preparatory Department
At its inception, Swarthmore College included a large preparatory department, but it began to play a secondary role by the early 1880s. In 1893, the preparatory division separated from the College and continued as a private institution, Swarthmore Preparatory School (see Swarthmore Historical Society Swarthmore Schools Collection, RG7/022). Collection contains a card file of students who attended the Swarthmore College Preparatory School.
Call number: RG6/R007