Swarthmore College Archives: Academic Departments
Please click of the name of the Department to view the Finding Aid:
Swarthmore College offered its first elective course in Astronomy in the mid 1870's. In 1885, the Board reported a proposal to erect an observatory near the east end of the College property. After Professor Susan Cunningham retired in 1906, Dr. John A. Miller was appointed as Professor of Mathematics and Astronomy. Until 1952, courses were listed under the Department of Mathematics and Astronomy; subsequently there was a separate Department of Astronomy until it became the Department of Physics and Astronomy in the mid 1980's. The collection contains administrative files, departmental scrapbooks, correspondence, information on symposia and assemblies of the International Astonomical Union, and miscellaneous records. Includes substantial information on eclipses and extensive correspondence with astronomers throughout the world.
Call number: RG6/J001
During World War II, Swarthmore College offered relief and reconstruction training programs, initially at the graduate level for men in the Civilian Public Service (CPS), and later as an undergraduate major. This collection consists of meeting minutes, correspondence, syllabi, reports, and other documents relating to Civilian Foreign Service (CFS) training programs at colleges and universities, particularly the CFS program at Swarthmore. The collection was compiled by J. Roland Pennock, a professor in the Political Science Department who oversaw both the CPS and CFS programs.
Call number: RG6/J003
At Swarthmore classes in dance technique have been offered as part of the physical education curriculum for men and women since the 1940s. The study of dance at Swarthmore College became part of the performing arts program in the late 1970s and was established as a major and minor in course and Honors in 1999. The collection contains materials relating to the the Swarthmore Folk Festival and other folk dance activities at Swarthmore (known as the "Co-Ed Dance Club"), as well as documents dating from after Dance was established as an academic program at Swarthmore, including materials collected for tributes to Pat Boyer, the first Director of Dance.
Call number: RG6/J002
For other Physical Education and Athletics records, RG6/I-001, see Auxiliary Departments. See also Archives of Department of Music and Dance at Underhill Music and Dance Library.