For outstanding sophomores or juniors who have a career interest in mathematics, natural sciences, or engineering. Up to 300 scholarships, distributed among the 50 states, are awarded for undergraduate college expenses up to $7,500 annually. Students must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher and demonstrated background in scientific research.
- U.S. citizenship is required.
- Open to sophomores and juniors ONLY.
- Minimum grade point average equivalent to a "B."
December 5, 2016
How to Apply
Visit the Goldwater web site to register and obtain access to an application. Turn in all the following materials to Parrish 115 or 119 by the internal deadline, above:
- Nominee Essay which relates to the student's chosen career.
- Three (3) letters of recommendations. The recommendations should be from a faculty member who can discuss the nominee's potential for a career in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering; a faculty member in the nominee's field of study; and another individual/faculty member who can attest to the nominee's potential.
- The Fellowships and Prizes Committee reviews all applications.
- All candidates are interviewed by the Committee.
- Based on application materials, interviews, and recommendations, the Committee selects four nominees. The nominees will have an opportunity to revise his or her essay prior to Goldwater's national deadline in early February.
- Final selections are made in early spring.