This section includes recommendations to integrate diversity more fully into campus culture, governance, recruitment, and hiring and retention at Swarthmore. Find diversity resources, examples of job ads and descriptions, and information on Mellon Diversity Fellowships and the Consortium for Faculty Diversity Fellowships.
Guides for Faculty Search Committees:
- Advance Program at University of Michigan [pdf] – Considered the Gold Standard in Guidebooks
- Interrupting Bias In the Faculty Search Process
- UCLA Faculty Search Committee Toolkit [pdf] - Very helpful step-by-step bullet-point lists and checklists for search committees
- Best Practices for Search Committees (AAUP Guidelines) [pdf]
- Ask members of the committee to complete some of the tests at Project Implicit to pinpoint their own biases.
Guidebooks in Print:
- Committing to Equity and Inclusive Excellence: A Campus Guide for Self-Study and Planning. AAUP 2015.
- Fine, E. and Handelsmann, J. WISELI Guide: Searching for Excellence and Diversity [pdf] (2012). Abstract: Sponsored by Women in Science and Engineering Leadership Institute, very helpful for departments looking to hire in NSE fields.
- Moody, JoAnn. Faculty Diversity. Removing the Barriers. New York: Routledge, 2011. 2nd Edition.
- Turner, C.S.V. Diversifying the Faculty: A Guidebook for Search Committees. Washington, D.C.: AACU, 2002. Abstract: Informed by the growing research literature on racial and ethnic diversity in the faculty, this guidebook offers specific recommendations to faculty search committees with the primary goal of helping structure and execute successful searches for faculty of color.