Space Use Policy
Swarthmore College makes available for rent several campus spaces from mid-June to mid-August for conferences, symposia, meetings, weddings and events. In addition, space may be available for rent during the College's fall and spring breaks. Space is not rented during the academic year (mid-August to mid-June), when the College's mission as a residential academic institution takes priority over external requests.
The following guidelines are in place to ensure the success of events hosted on the Swarthmore College campus. Associated fees are intended to cover the costs incurred by the College when hosting an event. Requirements for a contract and insurance coverage are in place to attend to the health and safety of all parties and to stipulate proper legal and financial coverage.
Faculty and staff members should contact Facilities Coordinator Tricia Maloney at x8355 or email@example.com to discuss plans related to hosting professional or academic organization events or for personal use, at any time during the year. Depending on the nature of the event, payment may be required at the rates listed below.
Certain events (for example, events hosted by political parties or those affiliated with same) must be considered on a case-by-case basis to ensure that the College remains in compliance with its non-profit 501 (c) (3) tax exempt status.
Members of the media or commercial photographers/videographers will find information about making arrangements to work on campus on the Filming and Photography site.
The following campus spaces are available for rent. Rates can be negotiated for half or multiple day events. There may be additional charges for audio/visual support and set-up fees. Insurance indemnification and a contract between the College and the individual or group (renter) will be required, specifics will be provided depending on the intended space use.
- Bond Hall - Meetings, events - Seats 60 lecture style and 60 at round tables - $400 per day (not air-conditioned)
- Classrooms - Smart classrooms of various sizes - $125 per day
- Lang Performing Arts Center (LPAC) - charges depend upon the space and staffing needs of the renter. Contact James Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org for information regarding use of this space.
- Scheuer Room, Kohlberg Hall - Meetings, events - Seats 100 lecture style seating, 80 at round tables - $600 per day
- Science Center 101 -Tiered seating for 200 - $300 per day
- Science Center 199 - Tiered seating for 80 - $175 per day
- Scott Outdoor Amphitheater* - Weddings - $1000 per day
*The Scott Amphitheater can be rented only by faculty, staff and alumni for weddings from mid-June through mid-August. The bride or the groom or the parent of the bride or groom must be an alum, faculty or staff member. Learn more about weddings.
For more information, contact Tricia Maloney - email@example.com - 610-328-8355.