Swarthmore benefits greatly from having a rich diversity. This is not only so culturally, but it is also evident by our vast diversity of thought, experience, opinions, ideas, values, norms, and beliefs. This will at times lead to conflict. The conflict itself, however, does not determine who we are, but rather it is the way we respond to the conflict that defines us as a respectful and socially conscious community.
To remind us of this commitment, our Statement of Equal Opportunity explicitly prohibits discrimination and harassment on the basis of the protected categories sex, race, color, age, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, medical condition, pregnancy, disability or any other legally protected status.
If you believe you may have been treated unfairly or inappropriately on the basis of a protected category while in the course of your work or academic pursuits, as soon as possible, please contact any of the following:
- Equal Opportunity Office: Parrish 373 North, ext. 5675
- Human Resources Office: Employee Relations Manager, Pearson 10, ext. 8398
- Your supervisor, department chair, or other member of management
- Provost: Parrish 229, ext. 8319
- Dean of the College: Parrish 108, ext. 8365
If you are unsure of where to get assistance, contact the Equal Opportunity Officer first for guidance. Your concerns will be heard and you will be offered support in finding an appropriate resolution, whether by informal methods or through one of the College's formal grievance procedures.
The formal grievance procedures applying to:
- staff can be found in Chapter 11 of the Employee Handbook,
- students can be found in the Judicial Policies and Procedures section of the Student Handbook (obtain a .pdf copy from the Dean's Office website), additionally, the student equal opportunity grievance procedures [pdf] are available online, and
- instructional staff can be found in section II.C.1 of the Faculty and Instructional Staff Handbook (obtain a .pdf copy from the Provost's Office website).
Other related policies including Student Sexual Misconduct Policy, Student Rights and Responsibilities of Expression, Faculty Rights and Responsibilities of Expression, Faculty Policy on Consensual Relationships Within the Context of Supervisoin and Evaluation, Staff Personal Relationships Policy can be found in the corresponding Student, Instructional Staff and Staff Handbooks cited above.