The Edmund Allen Professorship of Chemistry was established in 1938 by a trust set up by his daughter Laura Allen, friend of the College and niece of Rachel Hillborn, who served on the Board of Managers from 1887 to 1913.
The Franklin E. and Betty Barr Chair in Economics was established in 1989 as a memorial to Franklin E. Barr Jr. ’48 by his wife, Betty Barr.
The Alfred H. and Peggi Bloom Professorship was established in 2002 by Eugene M. Lang ’38 in honor of President Alfred H. and Peggi Bloom.
The Albert L. and Edna Pownall Buffington Professorship was established in 1964 by a bequest from Albert Buffington, Class of 1896 in honor of his wife, Edna Pownall Buffington, Class of 1898.
The Dorwin P. Cartwright Professorship in Social Theory and Social Action was created in 1993 by Barbara Weiss Cartwright ’37, to honor her husband, Dorwin P. Cartwright ’37. The professorship is awarded for a period of five years to a full professor who has contributed to and has the promise of continuing major contributions to the understanding of how social theory can be brought to bear on creating a more humane and ethically responsible society.
Centennial Chairs. Three professorships, unrestricted as to field, were created in 1964 in honor of Swarthmore’s centennial from funds raised during the Centennial Fund Campaign.
The Isaac H. Clothier Jr. Professorship of Biology was established by Isaac H. Clothier Jr. as a tribute of gratitude and esteem to Dr. Spencer Trotter, a professor of biology from 1888-1926.
The Isaac H. Clothier Professorship of History and International Relations was created in 1888 by Isaac H. Clothier, a member of the Board of Managers. Originally the professorship was granted in the field of civil and mechanical engineering. Clothier later approved its being a chair in Latin; in 1912, he approved its present designation.
The Morris L. Clothier Professorship of Physics was established in 1905 by Morris L. Clothier, Class of 1890.
The Julien and Virginia Cornell Visiting Professorship was endowed by Julien Cornell ’30 and Virginia Stratton Cornell ’30, former members of the Board of Managers, to bring professors and lecturers from other nations and cultures for a semester or a year. Since 1962, Cornell professors and their families from every corner of the world have resided on the campus so that they might deepen the perspective of both students and faculty.
The Alexander Griswold Cummins Professorship of English Literature was established in 1911 in honor of Alexander Griswold Cummins, Class of 1889, by Morris L. Clothier, Class of 1890.
The Howard N. and Ada J. Eavenson Professorship in Engineering was established in 1959 by Mrs. Eavenson, whose husband graduated in 1895.
The Neil R. Grabois ’57 Professorship was established in 2010 by Eugene M. Lang ’38 to honor Neil Grabois, mathematician and educator. This fund supports a professorship in the division of natural sciences and engineering, with a preference for a member of the mathematics department.
The James H. Hammons Professorship was established in 1997 by Jeffrey A. Wolfson ’75, to recognize the inspiring academic and personal guidance provided by James H. Hammons, professor of chemistry, who began his distinguished teaching career at Swarthmore in 1964. The professorship may be awarded in any division, with preference given to the Chemistry Department.
The James C. Hormel Professorship in Social Justice, established in 1995 by a gift from James C. Hormel ’55, is awarded to a professor in any academic division whose teaching and scholarship stimulate increased concern for and understanding of social justice issues, including those pertaining to sexual orientation.
The Howard M. and Charles F. Jenkins Professorship of Quakerism and Peace Studies was endowed in 1924 by Charles F. Jenkins H’26 and a member of the Board of Managers, on behalf of the family of Howard M. Jenkins, a member of the Board of Managers, to increase the usefulness of the Friends Historical Library and to stimulate interest in American and Colonial history with special reference to Pennsylvania. The fund was added to over the years through the efforts of the Jenkins family and by a 1976 bequest from C. Marshall Taylor, Class of 1904.
The Walter Kemp Professorship in the Natural Sciences was established in 2006 by Giles K. “Gil” ’72 and Barbara Guss Kemp. Gil and Barbara wanted to honor Gil’s father, a retired psychiatrist, who “has always been an inspiration” and “a great believer in both science and education.” The professorship is awarded with particular regard for combining professional engagement with excellence in teaching.
The William R. Kenan Jr. Professorships were established in 1973 by a grant from the William R. Kenan Jr. Charitable Trust to “support and encourage a scholar-teacher whose enthusiasm for learning, commitment to teaching, and sincere personal interest in students will enhance the learning process and make an effective contribution to the undergraduate community.”
The Eugene M. Lang Research Professorship, established in 1981 by Eugene M. Lang ’38, a member of the Board of Managers, normally rotates every four years among members of the Swarthmore faculty and includes one year devoted entirely to research, study, enrichment, or writing. It carries an annual discretionary grant for research expenses, books, and materials.
The Eugene M. Lang Visiting Professorship, endowed in 1981 by Eugene M. Lang ’38, brings to Swarthmore College for a period of one semester to 3 years an outstanding social scientist or other suitably qualified person who has achieved prominence and special recognition in the area of social change.
The Jane Lang Professorship in Music was established by Eugene M. Lang ’38, to honor his daughter, Jane Lang ’67. The Jane Lang Professorship is awarded to a member of the faculty whose teaching or professional activity promotes the centrality of music in the educational process by linking it to other disciplines.
The Stephen Lang Professorship of Performing Arts was established by Eugene M. Lang ’38, to honor his son, Stephen Lang ’73. The Stephen Lang Professorship of Performing Arts is awarded for five years to a member of the faculty whose teaching or professional activity promotes excellence in the performing arts at Swarthmore.
The Sara Lawrence Lightfoot Professorship was created by the College in 1992 in recognition of an unrestricted gift by James A. Michener ’29. The professorship is named in honor of Sara Lawrence Lightfoot ’66, Doctor of Humane Letters, 1989, and a former member of the Board of Managers.
The Susan W. Lippincott Professorship of Modern and Classical Languages was endowed in 1911 through a bequest from Susan W. Lippincott, a member of the Board of Managers, a contribution from her niece, Caroline Lippincott, Class of 1881, and gifts by other family members.
The Edward Hicks Magill Professorship of Mathematics and Natural Sciences was created in 1888 largely by contributions of interested friends of Edward H. Magill, president of the College from 1872 to 1889, and a bequest from John M. George.
The Charles and Harriett Cox McDowell Professorship of Philosophy and Religion was established in 1952 by Harriett Cox McDowell, Class of 1887 and a member of the Board of Managers, in her name and that of her husband, Dr. Charles McDowell, Class of 1877.
The Mari S. Michener Professorship was created by the College in 1992 to honor Mrs. Michener, wife of James A. Michener ’29, and in recognition of his unrestricted gift.
The Gil and Frank Mustin Professorship was established by Gilbert B. Mustin ’42 and Frank H. Mustin ’44 in 1990. It is unrestricted as to field.
The Richter Professorship of Political Science was established in 1962 by a bequest from Max Richter at the suggestion of his friend and attorney, Charles Segal, father of Robert L. Segal ’46 and Andrew Segal ’50.
The Scheuer Family Chair of Humanities was created in 1987 through the gifts of James H. Scheuer ’42; Walter and Marge Pearlman Scheuer ’44; and their children, Laura Lee ’73, Elizabeth Helen ’75, Jeffrey ’75, and Susan ’78 and joined by a challenge grant from The National Endowment for the Humanities.
The Howard A. Schneiderman ’48 Professorship in Biology was established by his wife, Audrey M. Schneiderman, to be awarded to a professor in the Biology Department.
The Claude C. Smith ’14 Professorship was established in 1996 by members of the Smith family and friends of Mr. Smith. A graduate of the Class of 1914, Claude Smith was an esteemed lawyer with the firm of Duane, Morris and Heckscher and was active at the College, including serving as chairman of the Board of Managers. This chair is awarded to a member of the Political Science or Economics departments.
The Henry C. and Charlotte Turner Professorship was established in 1998 by the Turner family. Henry C. Turner, Class of 1893 and J. Archer Turner, Class of 1905, served as members of the Board of Managers of Swarthmore College, as officers of the corporation, and as members of various committees. Henry Turner was founder of the Turner Construction Co.; his brother, J. Archer Turner, was the firm’s president. Four generations of Turners have had ties with the College, and Sue Thomas Turner ’35, wife of Robert C. Turner ’36 (son of Henry C. Turner), is a board member emerita. Howard Turner ’33, son of J. Archer Turner, has also been very active as a member of the Board of Managers over the years.
The J. Archer and Helen C. Turner Professorship was established in 1998 by the Turner family. Henry C. Turner, Class of 1893 and J. Archer Turner, Class of 1905, served as members of the Board of Managers of Swarthmore College, as officers of the corporation, and as members of various committees. Henry Turner was founder of the Turner Construction Co.; his brother, J. Archer Turner, was the firm’s president. Four generations of Turners have had ties with the College, and Sue Thomas Turner ’35, wife of Robert C. Turner ’36 (son of Henry C. Turner), is a board member emerita. Howard Turner ’33, son of J. Archer Turner, has also been very active as a member of the Board of Managers over the years.
The Henry C. and J. Archer Turner Professorship of Engineering was established with contributions and gifts from members of the Turner family in 1946 in recognition of the devoted service and wise counsel of Henry C. Turner, Class of 1893 and his brother, J. Archer Turner, Class of 1905. Both were members of the Board of Managers.
The Daniel Underhill Professorship of Music was established in 1976 by a bequest from Bertha Underhill to honor her husband, Class of 1894 and a member of the Board of Managers.
The Marian Snyder Ware Director of Physical Education and Athletics was endowed in 1990 by Marian Snyder Ware ’38.
The Joseph Wharton Professorship of Political Economy was endowed by a trust given to the College in 1888 by Joseph Wharton, chair of the Board of Managers.
The Isaiah V. Williamson Professorship of Civil and Mechanical Engineering was endowed in 1888 by a gift from Isaiah V. Williamson.