Where Intellect and Social Consciousness Foster Success
Swarthmore College is consistently ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top three liberal arts colleges in the country. Swarthmore offers a solid undergraduate education with programs leading to bachelor of arts degrees and, rare among liberal arts colleges, bachelor of science degrees to those majoring in engineering. The purpose of Swarthmore's liberal arts curriculum is to help students fulfill their responsibilities as citizens and grow into cultured and versatile leaders. At Swarthmore, students are able to realize their full potential and become valuable contributors to our society, exhibiting a deep sense of ethical and social concern. Our students originate from almost every state and more than 60 countries; approximately 38 percent are American students of color, and 7 percent are international students.
Looking Beyond the Classroom
- More than 40 percent of students engage in internships with business, nonprofit, and government employers, gaining professional experience that they are apply to their workplaces.
- Almost 50 percent of students participate in research projects through various academic departments.
- Approximately 50 percent of students engage in some type of community service project, developing leadership skills and the ability to contribute effectively as part of a team.
- Most students participate in our Extern Program during their four years at Swarthmore College, providing them with additional professional experience. Swarthmore students are self-starters, initiating programs and activities that enrich the campus as well as their work environments.
- Through advocacy and activism, our students are passionate about world issues and making a difference in their communities.
- Swarthmore College sponsors 22 varsity intercollegiate sports, which compete for National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) championships at the Division III level.
- About 30 percent of our students participate in international and domestic exchange programs, including study abroad.