The Benjamin West House serves as the campus welcome center and is the site of the Public Safety Office, open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The building is traditionally regarded as the birthplace of noted early-American artist Benjamin West (1728-1820), who made major contributions through his support for young artists, such as Gilbert Stuart and Charles Wilson Peale, as well as through his own painting. The College's art collection includes West's Penn's Treaty with the Indians, presented by West to the College in 1872. The building is designated a national historic landmark.
Swarthmore College, 500 College Avenue, Swarthmore PA 19081
Copyright 2014 Swarthmore College. All rights reserved.