FOAPAL stands for Fund - Org - Account - Program - Activity - Location
For most departmental budget expenses to be charged correctly you need to know your ORG code and the proper expense ACCOUNT code.
For all other charges, particularly to restricted funds (the old 2-X and 9-X accounts), you need to know your FUND code and the proper expense ACCOUNT code.
The first code in the Banner FOAPAL is the FUND. The fund code indicates the funding source. In Swarthmore's Chart of Accounts, the broad fund types are as follows:
- 11000 Current Unrestricted Fund. There is only one current unrestricted fund and it is for the College's Operating Budget.
- 20000 Current Restricted Funds. There are many current restricted funds which may include federal funds (21XXX), state funds (219XX), private gifts and grants (22XXX), temporarily restricted funds (23XXX), College research funds (24XXX) and funds supported by the endowment (26XXX).
- 40000 Loan Funds. These are student loan funds.
- 60000 Endowment Funds. There are many endowment funds consisting of true endowment (61XXX) and funds functioning as endowment (62XXX).
- 70000 Annuity and Life Income Funds. There are many life income funds usually gifts from donors.
- 80000 Agency Funds. Agency funds are usually funds held by the College for other groups or activities, such as Alumni Weekend and Class Funds.
- 90000 Plant Funds. There are many plant funds for the physical facilities of the College. Scientific equipment funds can be found in this group.
If you have any funds, such as a government grant or College research fund, you will be given a fund code number to use along with an account code when you incur an expense.
The Organization (or Org) code indicates your budget department, in most cases. The Org codes have been set up to follow the reporting structure of the College. You should have received an Org code to use when you incur departmental expenses.
Program codes are functional categories used in financial statements. These categories are determined by FASB (Financial Accounting Standards Board) so that educational institutions' financial statements can be compared.
Our program codes are as follows:
21 Academic Support
31 Student Services
41 Institutional Support
42 Fundraising Activities
51 Physical Plant & Depreciation
61 Student Aid
71 Auxiliary Activities
81 Public Service
91 Sponsored Research
92 Sponsored Projects