Step-by-Step Frank 5 Application Instructions
Application Deadline: Wednesday, March 15
All interested applicants to the Frank 5 Fellows Program must complete an online application form (available beginning January 18) with supporting materials by the deadline. Be sure to reach out to the Aydelotte Foundation with any questions that you may have well before the deadline.
Before you complete the application form, you should identify and secure the agreement of three individuals who will recommend you. One of the individuals must be from Swarthmore faculty, staff or alumni. One individual must be someone from outside of Swarthmore College and a non-family member. For example, select someone from your professional, civic or volunteer network. The third individual can be from either group — it’s your choice. You will be asked to share their names and e-mails in the application. Note: Once you submit your application, your recommenders will receive an e-mail asking them to complete an online form.
The recommender should be prepared to comment on:
- How they know you, in what capacity, and for how long.
- How you embody qualities shared by liberal arts graduates such as creative thinking and problem solving and why you would be a good fit for the Frank 5 Fellows Program.
- Your ability to and interest in reaching out to and engaging with diverse public audiences.
Your ability to take initiative and see projects through to completion.
- Anything else they think the Foundation should know about you.
Answer the online application questions. To preview the narrative questions (beginning January 18), click here. A completed application will ALSO consist of the following elements to be uploaded:
- Link to a short video (60 seconds max) that shares something about your story and what you bring to the conversation. FYI, we don't expect professional production quality. This is simply a way for us to learn more about you and your point of view. (Process: 1) Upload your video to a YouTube or Vimeo account that you have created. 2) Add any privacy settings that are appropriate for you. 3) If you password-protect your account, please be sure to list that password when you share the link to your video.)
- One-page resume (PDF format)
- Contact information for your three recommenders
- Optional piece of your choice in support of your application that illustrates your talent for being a Fellow. The type or manner of the piece is up to you. (Maximum file size is 6 MB)
Please note: Applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee that includes Swarthmore faculty and staff. Decisions will be based on an applicant’s overall fit with the program’s objectives.
For more information, e-mail email@example.com.
- Who Can Apply
- How Frank 5 Stories Will Be Shared
- On-line Application: Available Beginning January 18